Quantum Mechanics for Electrical Engineers

In summary, it is possible to learn quantum mechanics the same way physicists do by reading books and doing math problems.
amenhotep
Hello,
I'm already done with undergraduate Electrical Engineering and was quite disappointed not to have studied Quantum Mechanics. I have some free time now and would like to know whether its possible to get a good grasp of the subject the same way physicists do. I'm not talking about popular science QM, I'm talking about the QM that'll broaden my knowledge in Semiconductor Physics, nanoelectronics etc. What I'm unsure of is the level of Maths needed. As I mentioned, I'm just an EE. So, the type of Maths that I'm familiar with is: Linear Algebra, Calculus up to introduction into calculus of variations, ODE, some PDE and some Complex Analysis.
I would also like recommendations of self study books that are reasonable for my background. Once, I decided to learn real analysis and someone recommended the book by Rudin. I had to put down the book before going anywhere. So, I'm not asking for any advanced text to learn about the nuances of QM.
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbert Kroemer wrote an excellent text on QM for EEs. The math you've got is fine. My first QM book was French and Taylor and I thought it was pretty good.

For 99% of the work EEs do, classical models (even if they have some QM fairy dust) are sufficient. I know some people in device design (e.g. LED and laser development) need to do a bit of QM but they usually have software solve their problems using perturbation methods.

I imagine some people working on quantum computation need QM but everyone I've personally met working on that is a physicist.

You have enough math to learn quantum mechanics. Some EE departments actually teach quantum mechanics courses as undergrad electives (my dept. offered 2 semesters), so you should be fine. Our department primarily used Liboff's book but that was ~20 years ago; so don't go out and get Liboff. In any case you certainly have an okay background to learn undergrad quantum mechanics.

jason

Related to Quantum Mechanics for Electrical Engineers

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to electrical engineering?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It deals with the principles of quantum theory, which explains the behavior of particles and waves in the atomic and subatomic world. Quantum mechanics is essential in understanding the behavior of electrons and other particles in electrical systems, making it a crucial concept in electrical engineering.

2. How is quantum mechanics used in electrical engineering?

Quantum mechanics is used in electrical engineering in various ways, including designing and analyzing electronic devices such as transistors and diodes. It is also used in developing quantum computing, which has the potential to revolutionize the field of computing. Quantum mechanics is also used in understanding and developing new materials for electronic devices, such as semiconductors and superconductors.

3. What are some key concepts of quantum mechanics that electrical engineers should know?

Some key concepts of quantum mechanics that electrical engineers should know include wave-particle duality, superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help in understanding the behavior of electrons and other particles in electrical systems and designing efficient electronic devices.

4. Why is it important for electrical engineers to understand quantum mechanics?

Understanding quantum mechanics is crucial for electrical engineers as it allows them to design and optimize electronic devices at a microscopic level. It also helps in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing, which has the potential to greatly advance the field of electrical engineering. Without a solid understanding of quantum mechanics, it would be challenging to design and develop cutting-edge electronic devices.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics for electrical engineers?

One common misconception is that quantum mechanics is only relevant in the field of physics and has no practical applications in electrical engineering. However, as mentioned before, quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in designing and optimizing electronic devices and developing new technologies. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics is too complex for electrical engineers to understand. While it can be a challenging concept, with proper education and training, electrical engineers can grasp the key principles of quantum mechanics and apply them to their work.