Quantum Mechanics: Neutron/Proton Exchange?

• Thread starter peter.mason3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exchange
In summary: Heisenberg proposed the "exchange force" which implied that protons and neutrons were constantly exchanging identity. The author has been reading B Hoffman's The strange story of the quantum, and may have picked it up from there, or may have misrepresented it from there. The next bit is definitely wrong: "Only in this way is the nucleus held together." At least four ways are now identified I believe. Then some more stuff that may or may not have some basis in fact: "Before a proton can be repelled by another proton, it changes into a neutron, and vice versa...it is impossible to say at any givenmoment whether a particle is a proton or a
peter.mason3
I noticed someone posted on the internet (not on PF of course!) a largely senseless attack on science which contains a discussion of quantum mechanics and the view that neutrons change into protons and protons into neutrons in what they called a ceaseless exchange of identity.

I think it's wrong but I thought of the exchange of mesons, and began to wonder whether it is an acceptable, if unusual, exposition of quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
more info: Heisenberg's 'exchange force'

Background info:
The author says:
In 1932 Heisenberg ...[proposed the] exchange force. This implied that protons and neutrons were constantly exchanging identity

The author has been reading B Hoffman's The strange story of the quantum, and may have picked it up from there, or may have misrepresented it from there.

The next bit is definitely wrong: "Only in this way is the nucleus held together." At least four ways are now identified I believe. Then some more stuff that may or may not have some basis in fact: "Before a proton can be repelled by another proton, it changes into a neutron, and vice versa...it is impossible to say at any givenmoment whether a particle is a proton or a neutron. In fact it is both-it is and it is not."

You really should stop reading quackeries like that. It ruins your mind.

What Heisenberg said and what this quack INTERPRETS as "this implied" are two entirely different things. How is someone able to interpret something out of ignorance of the subject matter? An "exchange" force is not the same as a "change force", which is how this joker is interpreting it.

A neutron and proton simply can't transform into one another the way it has been described. There's clear violation of the conservation of charge (among other things). And we DO know what happens and how to detect things that have such 'sex change' issue. The neutrinos do that very well and is described by a well-formed theory. No such thing can be said in the neutron-proton switching as in here.

There are so many important and interesting issues and discoveries in physics. One does not need to scrape the bottom of the barrel and spend time analyzing some misguided website.

Zz.

thanks!

Hi ZZ!
Thats the best answer I could have hoped for. Thanks for taking the time.

It's not me but the others I worry about!

I wanted to say - but was worried about not knowing enough about quantum effects - this meson exchange thing - that two hundred years ago this year John Dalton showed that the atom does not shimmy around, like Berthollet, until then the most prominent chemist, thought (in order to explain oxidation.)

Thanks to your reply I can now add, I think: QM has advanced our understanding of the limits to what Dalton thought of as the immutable atom, beyond which it can undergo change, but QM uncertainity does not suggest that protons exchange with neutrons, as this would be against the law of the conservation of charge, amoungst other things. It is a misleading and mistaken interpretation of the theory.

After all, is it not true that the proton has a lifetime not less than 10^31 years? The neutron decays into a proton, electron and netrino outside the atom, but within the atom is held in a tight grip.

Do proton quarks swap around in the quantum quark soup where quarks come into existence in pairs and annihilate? As quite a different matter to the wrong idea of them swapping quarks with nearby neutrons?

Anyway thanks again for taking the time,
cheers
Pete

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Neutron/Proton Exchange?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is a fundamental theory that describes the physical laws governing the universe at its smallest scales.

2. What is a neutron/proton exchange?

In quantum mechanics, a neutron/proton exchange refers to the process by which a neutron and a proton, both subatomic particles found in the nuclei of atoms, can transform into each other. This process is governed by the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

3. How does a neutron/proton exchange affect an atom?

A neutron/proton exchange can change the mass and charge of an atom, leading to different isotopes of an element. It can also alter the stability of an atom, as the number of neutrons and protons in the nucleus determines its stability. Additionally, neutron/proton exchange can result in the release or absorption of energy.

4. How is neutron/proton exchange related to nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions, such as fusion and fission, involve the exchange of neutrons and protons. For example, in nuclear fusion, two nuclei combine and exchange protons, resulting in the formation of a heavier element. In nuclear fission, a heavy nucleus splits into smaller fragments, releasing neutrons and protons in the process.

5. What are the implications of neutron/proton exchange in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the manipulation of quantum states is necessary to perform calculations. Neutron/proton exchange can affect the quantum states of particles and can be utilized in quantum algorithms and simulations. Additionally, the exchange of neutrons and protons in nuclear reactions can generate the necessary entanglement between particles for quantum computing operations.

Back