Quantum Mechanics: Shankar or Cohen-Tannoudji?

In summary, there is a discussion about the best books for quantum mechanics, with Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji being mentioned. The consensus is that Shankar is a very good introductory book, while Cohen-Tannoudji is more comprehensive but not as easy to use. Zettili's book is also recommended. The question of which book is better is left to the reader to decide. A question is also raised about the treatment of continuous spectrum and a suggestion is made to use a mixture of textbooks to cover all aspects of QM. Two books, Arno Bohm's book and a book on quantum mathematical physics, are suggested as more rigorous options.
Goldbeetle
Has anybody read/use both these books? Which one is "better"?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've used Shankar as first book on QM, found it to be very good.
As for Cohen-Tannoudji, it was rather distasteful for me. First the monster comes in two volumes, and the indexing of the content is not convenient (look at the appendices/chapter compliments), but in terms of content its fine. Some of the topics contained, are unlikely to be found elsewhere in introductory QM books.

Another favorite of mine nowadays is Zettili's.

So which is better ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is for you to decide.update: there is an older thread with the same theme https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206371

The thing I find confusing is the treatment of the continuous spectrum. Am I right if I say that all these books try to give you some intuition to justify the mathematical tools they use (rules of computation using the dirac function etc). Is there any book that does this in a more rigorous way (functional analysis?)?

Goldbeetle said:
The thing I find confusing is the treatment of the continuous spectrum. Am I right if I say that all these books try to give you some intuition to justify the mathematical tools they use (rules of computation using the dirac function etc). Is there any book that does this in a more rigorous way (functional analysis?)?

I've seen this book but did not use it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rn...&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

If you ask me, try to use some mixtures of QM textbooks cause even the mighty Cohen-Tannoudji cannot cover everything (though it has something like ~1000 pages in total).

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Shankar or Cohen-Tannoudji?

1. What is the difference between Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji's approach to Quantum Mechanics?

Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji are two different textbooks that cover the topic of Quantum Mechanics. While both textbooks cover the same fundamental concepts, they differ in their approach and presentation of the material. Shankar's approach is more mathematical and rigorous, while Cohen-Tannoudji's approach is more conceptual and intuitive. Therefore, the main difference between the two textbooks is the level of mathematical rigor and the style of presentation.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners in Quantum Mechanics?

Both Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji are considered to be excellent textbooks for beginners in Quantum Mechanics. However, Cohen-Tannoudji's approach may be more suitable for those who are new to the subject, as it is more intuitive and provides a good foundation for understanding the mathematical concepts in Shankar's approach.

3. Do both textbooks cover the same topics in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, both Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji cover the same fundamental topics in Quantum Mechanics such as wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and operators, and the measurement problem. However, as mentioned before, they may differ in their level of mathematical rigor and style of presentation.

4. Which textbook is better for advanced studies in Quantum Mechanics?

For advanced studies in Quantum Mechanics, Shankar's approach may be more suitable as it provides a more mathematical and rigorous treatment of the subject. However, it is always recommended to refer to multiple textbooks and resources for a comprehensive understanding of the topic.

5. Can I use both Shankar and Cohen-Tannoudji as references for my research in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, both textbooks can be used as references for research in Quantum Mechanics. They provide a solid foundation and cover the essential concepts in the field. However, it is always recommended to refer to recent research articles and other advanced textbooks for more specialized topics.