Quantum Mechanics: Solving for j(square) Matrix with Clebsch Gordan Coefficients

• Thread starter TURK
  • Start date
In summary, The problem being discussed is for two particles with spin values of j1 = 2 and j2 = 1, where the condition is that m = m1 + m2 = 2. The task is to use Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to create a 2x2 matrix U and then calculate the matrix product U(transpose).j(square).U. The matrix U has been created but there is difficulty with the j(square) matrix, which is defined as j1(square) + j2(square) + [(j1-.j2+) + (j1-.j2+)] + 2j1z.j2z. The j1(square) matrix elements are j1(j1+1
TURK
Please urgent help.[quantum]

I have a homework I have tried a lot of thinks but I couldnot manage to solve.

problem: for two particle j1 = 2 ; j2 = 1 and the condition is m=m1 + m2 = 2.
by using Clebsch Gordan coefficients for the possible states !22> and !32>, create a matrix which will be a 2x2 matix lest say U and create j square for the system.
find the matrix product U(transpose).j(square).U.
I know that this pruduct will be the identity matris I if you take the h(bar) as 1
I have created the matrix U that is -squareroot(1/3) squareroot(2/3)

squareroot(2/3) squareroot(1/3)

but I have problem with the j(square)

I know the j(square)= j1(square) + j2(square) + [(j1-.j2+) + (j1-.j2+)] + 2j1z.j2z

here j1- and j2- are lowering and j1+ and j2+ are rising optrs.

please someone help me with the building of j(square) matris. I really have done whatever I can do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for example for j1(square) matrix elements are j1(j1+1) that is 6 in the diagonal of 2x2 matris and off diagonal elements are zero.

please someone help me. I really worked on this problem.

FAQ: Quantum Mechanics: Solving for j(square) Matrix with Clebsch Gordan Coefficients

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies.

What is the significance of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements, such as lasers, transistors, and MRI machines. It also challenges our classical understanding of physics and has opened up new possibilities for quantum computing and communication.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic objects. In classical mechanics, particles have defined properties such as position and velocity, while in quantum mechanics, particles have a wave-like nature and their properties are described by probabilities.

What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other, making it impossible to have complete knowledge of both simultaneously.

How is quantum mechanics applied in everyday life?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in electronics, medical imaging, and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of chemistry and materials science. Additionally, quantum mechanics is being studied for potential applications in energy production and security.