Quantum Mechanics: Translation and Wave Function

In summary: So, to get the change in expectation values you have to go to the dual representation of the translation operator, and see how the two operators act on the expectation values of the state.You can do this by writing out the position-space version of the displacement operator, and taking the expectation values with respect to the original state. This will give you the action of the translation operator on the position-space wavefunction (a rather complicated process, but worth working out once).Alternately, you can just use the properties of the dual representation of the translation operator to write out an expression for the expectation value of the translated momentum operator in terms of the original expectation value of the momentum operator, and the shift in the expectation value of the position operator. This
Robben

Homework Statement

Let ##|\psi\rangle \to |\psi'\rangle = \hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle## for infinitesimal ##\delta x##. Show that ##\langle x \rangle = \langle x \rangle + \delta x## and ##\langle p_x \rangle = \langle p_x\rangle.##

Homework Equations

##\hat{T}(\delta x) = e^{-i\hat{p}_x\delta x/\hbar}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused. Why would ##\langle x \rangle = \langle x \rangle + \delta x##?
Shouldn't it equal ##\langle x \rangle?##
Since, ##\langle x\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}|\psi'\rangle = \langle \psi'|x\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{T}(\delta x)x|\psi\rangle = \langle x\rangle.##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The translation operator doesn't commute with the position observable.

So what you actually have, is:
[itex]\langle x\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}|\psi'\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle[/itex]

If you evaluate [itex] \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle[/itex]
while keeping in mind the order of the observables, and using the approximation
[itex]\hat{T}(\delta x) = e^{-i\frac{\hat{p}_x\delta x}{\hbar}}\approx I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar} \delta x[/itex]
since [itex]\delta x[/itex] is indeed an infinitesimal translation,
I expect you'll get the result you're looking for.

jfizzix said:
The translation operator doesn't commute with the position observable.

So what you actually have, is:
[itex]\langle x\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}|\psi'\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle[/itex]

If you evaluate [itex] \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle[/itex]
while keeping in mind the order of the observables, and using the approximation
[itex]\hat{T}(\delta x) = e^{-i\frac{\hat{p}_x\delta x}{\hbar}}\approx I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar} \delta x[/itex]
since [itex]\delta x[/itex] is indeed an infinitesimal translation,
I expect you'll get the result you're looking for.

Oh I see, so my method is wrong because I cannot commute the translation operator with position, but I am not sure how ##I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar} \delta x## will help me here?

In the expression ## \hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)##, approximate ## \hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)## as well as ##\hat{T}(\delta x)## and simplify the overall expression.

TSny said:
In the expression ## \hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)##, approximate ## \hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)## as well as ##\hat{T}(\delta x)## and simplify the overall expression.

So using the suggestion you guys provided, I got: $$\langle x\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}|\psi'\rangle = \langle \psi'|\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi |\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle$$ $$ = \langle \psi|\hat{T}(\delta x) x + [x,\hat{T}(\delta x)])|\psi\rangle$$ $$ = \langle\psi|\hat{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{T}(\delta x)x|\psi\rangle + \langle\psi|\hat{T}(\delta x)|[x,e^{-ip_x\delta_x/\hbar}]|\psi\rangle, $$ but I am not sure how to proceed after replacing ##e^{-ip_x\delta_x/\hbar}## with ##1 - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar} \delta x?##

Robben said:
Oh I see, so my method is wrong because I cannot commute the translation operator with position, but I am not sure how ##I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar} \delta x## will help me here?

If
[itex]\bar{T}(\delta x)\approx I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x}[/itex],
then
[itex]\langle\psi|\bar{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\bar{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle \approx \langle\psi|( I +i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x})\hat{x}( I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x})\psi\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\approx \langle\psi| \hat{x} +\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{p}_{x}\delta\hat{x}\hat{x} - \frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}\delta\hat{x}|\psi\rangle[/itex]
Note that the last term in the expansion was of the order [itex](\delta x)^{2}[/itex], and so can be neglected.

Knowing the commutator [itex][\hat{x},\hat{p}_{x}]=i\hbar[/itex], the rest is straightforward.

Likes Robben
jfizzix said:
If
[itex]\bar{T}(\delta x)\approx I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x}[/itex],
then
[itex]\langle\psi|\bar{T}^{\dagger}(\delta x)\hat{x}\bar{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle \approx \langle\psi|( I +i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x})\hat{x}( I - i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta\hat{x})\psi\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\approx \langle\psi| \hat{x} +\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{p}_{x}\delta\hat{x}\hat{x} - \frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{x}\hat{p}_{x}\delta\hat{x}|\psi\rangle[/itex]
Note that the last term in the expansion was of the order [itex](\delta x)^{2}[/itex], and so can be neglected.

Knowing the commutator [itex][\hat{x},\hat{p}_{x}]=i\hbar[/itex], the rest is straightforward.

Oh, I see! Thank you very much!

I actually ran into a problem that is similar to this. It says if we modify the wave equation by a position dependent phase, i.e. ##e^{ip_ox/\hbar}## then ##\langle x\rangle = \langle x \rangle## and ##\langle p_x \rangle = \langle p_x \rangle + p_o##, but why is that?

Robben said:
I actually ran into a problem that is similar to this. It says if we modify the wave equation by a position dependent phase, i.e. ##e^{ip_ox/\hbar}## then ##\langle x\rangle = \langle x \rangle## and ##\langle p_x \rangle = \langle p_x \rangle + p_o##, but why is that?

[itex]e^{i\frac{p_{0}}{\hbar}\hat{x}}[/itex] is a translation operator in momentum space.

You can see this for yourself by expanding this exponential as a power series, and noting that the position operator acts like a derivative in momentum space, giving you a Taylor series expansion of the displaced momentum-space wavefunction.

Translations in momentum space will shift the expectation values of momentum observables,
but they will not alter the expectation values of position observables.
(e.g., changing your reference frame in a single instant doesn't change where things are, only how they are moving relative to you)

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
jfizzix said:
[itex]e^{i\frac{p_{0}}{\hbar}\hat{x}}[/itex] is a translation operator in momentum space.

You can see this for yourself by expanding this exponential as a power series, and noting that the position operator acts like a derivative in momentum space, giving you a Taylor series expansion of the displaced momentum-space wavefunction.

Translations in momentum space will shift the expectation values of momentum observables,
but they will not alter the expectation values of position observables.
(e.g., changing your reference frame in a single instant doesn't change where things are, only how they are moving relative to you)

Expanding Taylor series for [itex]e^{i\frac{p_{0}}{\hbar}\hat{x}}[/itex] gives ##1+\frac{ip_ox}{\hbar}##.
Expanding Taylor series for [itex]e^{-i\frac{p_{x}}{\hbar}\delta x}[/itex] gives ##1-\frac{ip_x\delta x}{\hbar}##.

Since they are both translation operators why does one comute with the position observable and the other does not?

Robben said:
Since they are both translation operators why does one comute with the position observable and the other does not?
One is the translation operator in position space, the other in momentum space. Look at the operators: you have ##e^{i\frac{p_{0}}{\hbar}\hat{x}}## and ##e^{-i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta x}##. The position operator ##\hat{x}## commutes with itself, while ##\hat{p}_x## doesn't commute with ##\hat{x}##.

DrClaude said:
One is the translation operator in position space, the other in momentum space. Look at the operators: you have ##e^{i\frac{p_{0}}{\hbar}\hat{x}}## and ##e^{-i\frac{\hat{p}_{x}}{\hbar}\delta x}##. The position operator ##\hat{x}## commutes with itself, while ##\hat{p}_x## doesn't commute with ##\hat{x}##.

What makes one an operator of momentum space and the other an operator of position space? I tried to search this online but I couldn't find any links that distinguished the two operators. Also, why does ##p_o## commute with x?

Robben said:
What makes one an operator of momentum space and the other an operator of position space? I tried to search this online but I couldn't find any links that distinguished the two operators.
But that exactly the point of these exercises!

Robben said:

Homework Statement

Let ##|\psi\rangle \to |\psi'\rangle = \hat{T}(\delta x)|\psi\rangle## for infinitesimal ##\delta x##. Show that ##\langle x \rangle = \langle x \rangle + \delta x## and ##\langle p_x \rangle = \langle p_x\rangle.##
This shows that ##\hat{T}(\delta x)## is an operator that translates a wave function in position space, while leaving the momentum unchanged. Likewise for the problem in post #8.

Robben said:
Also, why does ##p_o## commute with x?
It's a number, not an operator.

Likes Robben

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Translation and Wave Function

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons, and how they interact with each other.

2. What is the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time. It is represented by the symbol Ψ (psi) and is used to calculate the probabilities of various outcomes in quantum systems.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the concept of translation?

In quantum mechanics, translation refers to the displacement of a particle from one location to another. The wave function describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular location, and as the particle moves, the wave function changes accordingly. This allows us to predict the likelihood of a particle being in a specific position after a certain amount of time.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because, at the quantum level, the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the other property, making it impossible to have precise knowledge of both simultaneously.

5. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics, which is based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton, applies to macroscopic objects and can accurately predict their behavior. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, applies to microscopic particles and follows different laws and principles, such as wave-particle duality and probabilistic behavior, which do not apply in classical mechanics.