Quantum & Modern Physics Textbooks: Undergrad & Grad

• Thread starter Reedwan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, two recommended textbooks for quantum physics and modern physics are Modern Quantum Mechanics by J.J Sakurai for graduate students and Quantum Physics by Stephen Gasiorowicz for undergraduate students. Other options include Zettili for undergraduates, Griffiths for a lighter introduction to concepts, and Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar for a more intermediate level.
Reedwan
Please could you recommend two physics textbooks for me on quantum physics and modern physics that are for undergrad and Grads. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Modern Quantum Mechanics_J.J Sakurai for grads
&
Quantum Physics_Stephen Gasiorowicz for undergrad

Good luck

I liked Zettili for an undergrad book;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470026790/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The classic undergrad text is girffiths which is light on the math and thus a good intro into the concepts. But it does leave one desiring more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Gasiorowicz are very similar to Zettili, So both books are good choices.

I like Principles of Quantum Mechanics - Shankar. This text is between the levels of Griffiths and Sakurai.

Thank you. I'm overwhelmed

FAQ: Quantum & Modern Physics Textbooks: Undergrad & Grad

1. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate level quantum and modern physics textbooks?

Undergraduate level textbooks typically cover the basic concepts and principles of quantum and modern physics, while graduate level textbooks delve deeper into advanced topics and applications. Graduate level textbooks may also assume a higher level of mathematical and theoretical knowledge.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in quantum and modern physics?

Yes, some popular choices for beginners include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos.

3. Do quantum and modern physics textbooks include practical applications?

Yes, many textbooks include real-world examples and applications of quantum and modern physics, such as in technology, engineering, and medicine. Some textbooks may also include exercises or problems for students to apply their knowledge.

4. How much math background is required for studying quantum and modern physics?

A strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra is essential for understanding quantum and modern physics. Some textbooks may also require knowledge of differential equations, vector calculus, and complex analysis.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for quantum and modern physics textbooks?

Yes, many textbooks have accompanying websites with additional resources such as practice problems, simulations, and lecture notes. There are also online forums and discussion groups where students can ask questions and discuss concepts with others studying quantum and modern physics.