Quantum particle in a rigid box with 2 given wavefunctions solving for energies

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum problem involving an electron in a 1-D rigid box. Two wave equations are given, one with constant phase and one with varying phase, and the energy levels and probabilities for each case are requested. The individual asking for help attempts to solve the problem using Schrodinger's equation but encounters difficulties due to the discontinuity at certain points in the wavefunctions.
CNMD
I have a quantum problem that I can't seem to figure out:

There's an electron in a 1-D rigid box of length 2A but it is known to reside in a central segment of 1A with uniform probability of residing within this segment.
There are two possible wavefunctions:
one with constant phase: ψ(x)= 1/√a (a=1A)
and with varying phase: ψ(x)= e^(jxpi/4a)/√a
Both of those wave equations are for within the segment and outside the segment ψ(x)= 0.

Determine the 3 lowest energies expected for each case and the probability of each outcome.

Since the wave equation is 0 outside the segment, I thought I'd treat this as a regular particle in a box problem with the box of length 1A. Then I plugged the ψ(x) given into the Schrodinger's equation to find E for the 2 cases:

d^2/dx^2 ψ(x) = -(2m/h^2)*E*ψ(x)

However, for the first case of constant phase, this gives that E=0 and for the second case, E= (h*pi)^2/(32ma^2) which is really just a constant and I can't get the 3 lowest energies.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You would only get E=0 if psi were constant everywhere, but at 0.5 A and 1.5 A, the second derivative of the wavefunction is certainly not 0.

My understanding was that from 0-0.5 and 1.5-2, ψ(x)=0 (for both cases), so the second derivative would be 0 as well, no? And within 0.5-1.5 it is just a constant 1/√a so that derivative is also 0.

Nevertheless at these very two points the derivatives are not well defined.

Related to Quantum particle in a rigid box with 2 given wavefunctions solving for energies

What is a "Quantum particle in a rigid box"?

A "Quantum particle in a rigid box" is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined within a rigid container or potential well. This model assumes that the particle is free to move within the box but cannot escape its boundaries.

What are wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

Wavefunctions are mathematical functions that describe the quantum state of a particle. They represent the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position or with a certain momentum. In the case of a "Quantum particle in a rigid box", the wavefunction describes the probability of finding the particle within the boundaries of the box.

What do you mean by "solving for energies" in this context?

In quantum mechanics, the energy of a particle is represented by a set of discrete values called energy eigenvalues. These values are obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. In the case of a "Quantum particle in a rigid box", we solve for the energy eigenvalues associated with the given wavefunctions to determine the allowed energy levels of the particle within the box.

Can a "Quantum particle in a rigid box" have any energy value?

No, the energy values of a "Quantum particle in a rigid box" are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. These values are determined by the size and shape of the box, as well as the properties of the particle, such as its mass and charge. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the quantization of energy.

Why is the "Quantum particle in a rigid box" model important in physics?

The "Quantum particle in a rigid box" model is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It provides a simplified framework for studying the properties of quantum systems and has applications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science. Moreover, this model serves as a building block for more complex quantum systems and helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.