Quantum relativity at the Marcel and grg

In summary, francesca has taught the speaker about the triannual rhythm of the two main international General Relativity and Gravitation conferences, the Marcel Grossmann meetings and the grg or "International Conference on General Relativity and Gravitation." The speaker is interested in noting any trends in the impact of Quantum Relativity at these conferences and was sparked by reading Ashtekar's paper at the 2006 Marcel Grossmann meeting. The prominence of Quantum Relativity people at these conferences has been growing, as seen in recent years (2006-2007). However, there were significant gaps in 2005 and 2008 due to other major conferences in the field.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
francesca has taught me to keep aware of the triannual rhythm of the two main international General Relativity and Gravitation conferences.
The Marcel Grossmann meetings that have been or will be held in 2000, 2003, 2006, ...
and the grg or "International Conference on General Relativity and Gravitation" happening 2001, 2004, 2007,...

I want to note any trend in the impact of QR at these major international meetings.

The particular thing that sparked my interest was reading Ashtekar's paper that he gave in Berlin at the 2006 Marcel Grossmann.
It is extremely good. and has a kind of 'remedial education' role. The organizers insisted that he give a "recent advances" survey and a FAQ where he addressed the questions that non-LQG people had. I am glad the organizers did insist because he produced an excellent paper

Ashtekar's "LQG for string theorists" paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.2222

Maybe that is the wrong term for it, but something like that. Very effective paper useful for wider-than-usual audience.

What I notice just looking at recent years (esp. 2006-2007) is the growing prominence of the Quantum Relativity people at the Marcel and the GRG. This may or may not be a trend and I want to check it out by inspecting

2000 Marcel Rome
2001 grg Durban (S.A.)
2003 Marcel Rio
2004 grg Dublin (big Hawking black hole hoopla)
2006 Marcel Berlin---Ashtekar's invited talk giving survey, examples, and FAQ
2007 grg Sydney---Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel among featured speakers (simplex gravity, spinfoam gravity-and-matter)
2009 Marcel...
2010 grg...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can see that the years 2005 and 2008 are significant gaps. 2005 was the year chosen by Hermann Nicolai's Potsdam Albert Einstein Institute to host a major international Quantum Relativity conference: Loops '05.
Potsdam Loops '05 turned out to be the biggest QR conference in many years. It had Renate Loll talk on simplex gravity and Martin Reuter talk about asymptotic safe quantum GR. Laurent Freidel gave a plenary talk. Rovelli reported on the spinfoam LQG graviton propagator. A whole day was devoted to Quantum Cosmology (i.e. replacing big bang singularity with a bounce.)
Memorable conference even for outsiders who watched the videos.

So what happens in 2008? This is another gap year. It turns out that John Barrett has scheduled a QGQG (Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity) conference at Uni Nottingham in the UK. And for a couple of weeks before the conference there will be a QGQG school in Denmark, for grad students and postdocs getting into quantum relativity research. That Nottingham conference could, in effect, be the Loops '08.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing your observations on the impact of Quantum Relativity at the Marcel and grg conferences. it is important to stay aware of the trends and developments in our field, and these conferences are valuable opportunities to do so. It is interesting to see the increasing prominence of Quantum Relativity at these meetings, as evidenced by the invited talks by Ashtekar and the featured speakers like Loll and Freidel. I will definitely take a closer look at the papers and presentations from these conferences to further understand the impact of Quantum Relativity in the broader field of General Relativity and Gravitation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Related to Quantum relativity at the Marcel and grg

1. What is quantum relativity?

Quantum relativity is a theory that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic and macroscopic scale.

2. What is the relationship between quantum mechanics and general relativity?

Quantum mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, while general relativity explains the behavior of large objects in space. Quantum relativity combines these two theories to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

3. How does quantum relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

According to quantum relativity, time and space are not absolute and can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. This means that our understanding of these concepts may need to be revised in light of this theory.

4. What are some implications of quantum relativity?

Quantum relativity has implications in various fields, including cosmology, particle physics, and even technology. It has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and MRI machines, and has also helped scientists better understand the origins of the universe.

5. How is quantum relativity being studied and tested?

Scientists are using a combination of theoretical calculations, experiments, and observations to study and test the principles of quantum relativity. This includes experiments with particle accelerators, observations of astronomical events, and mathematical models.