Quantum vs. Classical Mechanic graphing

In summary, the potential used in the Schrodinger's equation is the same as the potential used in classical mechanics, but if you want to know the electric potential field of an electron, then things get different. quantum mechanics is different from classical mechanics in that sense.
terp.asessed
Hey, I am curious if there's a correspondence between Classical and Quantum Mechanics graphs in terms of Potential (or kinetic) Energy as a function of x, aside from equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical mechanics, particles cause potentials and particles are also affected by potentials. So there some kind of a consistency between them because a particle which is affected by another particle's potential field, can itself have a similar potential field. There are only some cases where you can have potentials which aren't related to some kind of a usual particles configuration, like a uniform electric field which can be caused only by charges at infinity.
But in QM, things are different. The potential used in the Schrodinger's equation is the same as the potential used in classical mechanics and so there is no difference in that sense. But if you want to know the electric potential field of an electron, then things get different. You should use the modulus squared of the electrons' wave function(times -e) as the charge density and find the electric potential but that depends on the wave function's form and so things are very different from classical mechanics here.So different that there can be no comparison in the way you want! Also the consistency I mentioned in the case of classical mechanics isn't present here and I think that's one important reason that pushed physicists for formulating Quantum theories for fields.
In QFT things are even more different!

Likes terp.asessed
Thanks for the info! Btw, if you don't mind, could you pls expand on:

Shyan said:
The potential used in the Schrodinger's equation is the same as the potential used in classical mechanics and so there is no difference in that sense.

I thought that it only applied in the case where energy level (n) in the QM is very large to the point the wave behaves more like Classical than Quantum Mechanics?

I think its better to explain in using an example. Consider a particle in the potential [itex] V(x)=\frac{1}{2} k x^2 [/itex]. As you can see, there is nothing here that tells us we want to do it classically or quantum mechanically. That's exactly what I mean. The procedures, equations, interpretations and solutions are different, but the potential is the same!
You use [itex] V(x)=\frac{1}{2} k x^2 [/itex] for solving the classical problem and when you want to solve the quantum mechanical problem, you use the same thing and you do nothing to make it quantum mechanical!

Likes terp.asessed
Ok, thanks!

FAQ: Quantum vs. Classical Mechanic graphing

1. How do quantum and classical mechanics differ in their approach to graphing?

Quantum mechanics uses wave functions to describe the behavior of particles, while classical mechanics uses equations of motion. This results in different types of graphs being used to represent each theory.

2. Can classical mechanics be used to accurately graph quantum systems?

No, classical mechanics is not applicable to quantum systems as it does not take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum particles.

3. What are some common graphs used in quantum mechanics?

The most commonly used graphs in quantum mechanics include wave function graphs, energy level diagrams, and probability distribution graphs.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect graphing in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This means that certain types of graphs, such as position-momentum graphs, may not accurately represent the behavior of quantum particles.

5. Can both quantum and classical mechanics be used to explain the same physical phenomenon?

Yes, in some cases both theories can be used to explain the same phenomenon. However, quantum mechanics is typically used for systems on a small scale, while classical mechanics is more applicable to larger systems.