Quark - antiquark annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction of an electron colliding with a positron and producing a photon. The question is then raised about what happens when quarks collide, specifically an up quark and an antiup quark. The reaction is further explored in the context of a specific example, but the exact outcome is uncertain. The conversation concludes with the mention of a helpful link that provides more information on the topic.
eoghan
Hi there!
If an electron collides with a positron, they will annihilate producing a photon. But what about quarks?
If an up quark collides with an antiup quark, do they produce a gluon or a photon?
I ask that because I'm studying the reaction:
[tex]\Pi^- + p \rightarrow \Lambda+K^0[/tex]
where I suppose the antiup quark of Pi annihilates with the up quark from the proton and creates a gluon, which in turn decays into a pair strange/antistrange quark. Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
yogurtforthes said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron–positron_annihilation

Look here for starters. There is a nice diagram of to the right showing most of the reaction. Look at that for help. There are other links at the bottom that may help as well.

That accounts for elecetron/positron annihilation, but what about quark and antiquark? Do they produce a photon or a gluon?

I figured it was like in the diagram. Two photons (opposed) and a neutrino. Let me find a better breakdown page, if I can. I'm not clear what the quarks create, I'd assume the photons as you said (they create diametrically opposed particles).

Very interesting link!
Thank you!

Related to Quark - antiquark annihilation

1. What is quark-antiquark annihilation?

Quark-antiquark annihilation is a process in which a quark and an antiquark collide and annihilate each other, producing other particles as a result.

2. How does quark-antiquark annihilation occur?

Quark-antiquark annihilation occurs when a quark and an antiquark come close enough to each other that they can interact through the strong nuclear force. This force causes the quark and antiquark to combine and form a new particle, usually a meson.

3. What particles are produced in quark-antiquark annihilation?

The particles produced in quark-antiquark annihilation depend on the types of quark and antiquark involved. They can include mesons, baryons, and other particles such as gluons and photons.

4. Why is quark-antiquark annihilation important in particle physics?

Quark-antiquark annihilation is an important process in particle physics because it helps us understand the fundamental structure of matter. By studying the particles produced in these collisions, we can gain insights into the strong nuclear force and the behavior of quarks.

5. Can quark-antiquark annihilation be observed in experiments?

Yes, quark-antiquark annihilation has been observed in numerous experiments, including those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These experiments provide valuable data for scientists to study and further our understanding of the subatomic world.