Quarks and isospin ladder operators

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding quantum mechanics and particle physics. The question is about the use of the operator ##T_+=T_+(1)+T_+(2)## in Thompson's book, compared to the expected result of ##T_+(1)\otimes T_+(2)##. The person asking the question realizes their mistake and decides to leave the thread for others to see. The expert responds by explaining that the total angular momentum operator is the sum of the individual particle operators, leading to the conclusion that ##T_+=T_+(1)+T_+(2)##.
Xico Sim
Hi, guys.

This is actually a question about quantum mechanics, but since the context in which it appeared is particle physics, I'll post it here.
On Thompson's book (page 227, equation (9.32)), we have
$$T_+ |d\bar{u}\rangle = |u\bar{u}\rangle - |d\bar{d}\rangle$$

But I thought ##T_+=T_+(1)\otimes T_+(2)##, and in that case
$$T_+ |d\bar{u}\rangle = -|u\bar{d}\rangle$$

It seems like he uses ##T_+=T_+(1) + T_+(2)##, and I don't know why he does that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't thinking correctly: I now know the answer. I don't know if I should delete this thread (or even if I can delete it) or if I should answer myself, for others who may have the same question to see...

Xico Sim said:
or if I should answer myself, for others who may have the same question to see...
That's the best option, you are certainly not the first or last one with that question.

You're right.
Well, since ##T\equiv T(1) + T(2)## (the total angular momentum operator is the sum of the angular momentum operators of each particle), we have
$$T_+\equiv T_1+iT_2=(T_1(1)+T_1(2))+i(T_2(1)+T_2(2))=T_+(1)+T_+(2)$$

Likes vanhees71 and mfb

FAQ: Quarks and isospin ladder operators

1. What are quarks and how do they contribute to the structure of matter?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. They are also the building blocks of other particles, such as mesons and baryons. Quarks have a property called "color charge" which determines how they interact with each other through the strong nuclear force.

2. What is isospin and how does it relate to quarks?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between certain types of particles, specifically between protons and neutrons. In the context of quarks, isospin refers to the extent to which a set of quarks behave similarly to each other in terms of their strong interactions. It is an important property in the study of particle physics and helps to classify particles.

3. What are ladder operators and how do they relate to isospin?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to raise or lower the energy of a particle. In the context of isospin, ladder operators are used to describe the behavior of particles with different isospin values. They are used to create and destroy particles with specific isospin states, and their commutation relations are important in understanding the dynamics of isospin.

4. What is the relationship between quarks, isospin, and the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding quarks together to form particles like protons and neutrons. Isospin plays a crucial role in this force, as it helps to classify and organize the different types of particles that are made up of quarks. The properties of quarks, including their color charge and isospin, determine how they interact with each other through the strong nuclear force.

5. Can isospin ladder operators be used to predict the behavior of particles in experiments?

Yes, isospin ladder operators are an important tool in predicting and understanding the behavior of particles in experiments. By using these operators, scientists can determine the probabilities of certain particles being created or destroyed in a specific isospin state. They also help to explain the patterns and relationships between particles observed in experiments.