Exploring LHC Experiments & Hawking Radiation's Effects on Time-Space

In summary, the Large Hadron Collider is under construction at CERN and is expected to create black hole radiation. If this radiation is detected, it could mean that gravity does something weird at short scales, which supports the theory of extra dimensions.
Iam_walrus
I'm sure that everyone is familiar with the Large Hadron colider under construction at CERN
I am just curious about the hawking radiation that is to be produced to reveal the extra dimensions that are theorized by string theory. Hawking radiation as I understand it evaporates because of it's unstable nature (or reverts back to it's stable state), but in order for it uncurl the dimensions it would have to exist as an opposing energy to space time itself.

Everything existing within the universe is relative to the big bang (the extent of the past), and to the future (the final divisions and epressions of all energy and mass). The Earth and all matter within it exists along this projected expanse stabalised within the dimensions of time space that maintain existence at this point.

If black hole matter either wave or particular was to exist outside it's stable existence with in the continuum would it cause the material energies that come in contact with it remove or distabalise it from the continuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know as much about this as I'd like, but I think you don't quite understand some of the things you're asking about. Look at it like this:

1. The Large Hadron Collider smashes things together. Under ONE possible theory of extra dimensions-- but not ALL theories of extra dimensions-- gravity does something very weird at short scales which means that when you smash two very small things, at LHC-like energies they turn into a black hole. If so, the black hole will contain all the mass-energy of the two particles, plus the energy of the collision.

2. All black holes emit hawking energy. Because they emit hawking energy, they evaporate-- the energy emitted by the black hole sucks away the mass the black hole is made of. When all the mass evaporates, the black hole is gone. The black holes from (1) are very small so it does not take long for them to evaporate completely.

3. By this point, we haven't done anything but just move mass-energy around. We shoved mass and energy in at one end as a collision, and by doing so we converted it into a black hole. Then the natural process of black hole evaporation converted that black hole into radiation.

4. So the reason why this is important is that IF we see hawking radiation (is this really how the small black holes are detected? I guess it must be) then this means that a black hole was created there. And if a black hole was created, that means that gravity does something very weird at short scales, because otherwise a black hole wouldn't have been created at LHC energies. And if gravity does this weird thing at short scales then we know the theory from (1) about extra dimensions is true, and therefore extra dimensions exist. That's it-- the fact the black hole was created only tells us the extra dimensions were there. The extra dimensions only come in insofar as they make it possible to create a black hole using nothing but the LHC.

I don't think anything "uncurls" dimensions or takes anything in or out of any "continuum".

black holes on earth

I apologise for my query, I am not the best at writing but I have full understanding of what you mean. I don't wish to discuss anything outside of recognised theory, but if you divide the mass of an electron, quark or any point particle till you are on the absolute verge of nothingness. You will eventual have mass at a binary essence. Where it either exists or doens't exist, if by crossing this point with the energy generated by LHC to create the tiny black hole would this ripple or reflect into the mass that exists around it? I picture this as pricking the skin of a balloon, if you do this the balloon explodes... the possibility that the mass of any black hole no matter how tiny it is may have a new manner of existing that hasn't been considered by theorists or even hawking.

Related to Exploring LHC Experiments & Hawking Radiation's Effects on Time-Space

1. What is the LHC and what experiments are being conducted there?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) in Switzerland. The main goal of the LHC is to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. Scientists at the LHC are conducting experiments such as the ATLAS and CMS experiments, which involve colliding particles at high energies to study the nature of particles and their interactions.

2. What is Hawking radiation and how does it affect time-space?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. It states that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon, causing them to slowly lose mass and eventually evaporate. This radiation has a direct effect on the fabric of space-time, causing it to warp and distort in the vicinity of a black hole.

3. How does the LHC contribute to our understanding of Hawking radiation?

The LHC experiments allow scientists to recreate high-energy conditions similar to those near a black hole's event horizon. By studying the particles produced in these collisions, scientists can gather data on the properties of the particles and their interactions, providing insights into the nature of Hawking radiation.

4. Are there any potential applications for the research on Hawking radiation and the LHC?

The research on Hawking radiation and the LHC has the potential to contribute to our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe. It may also have practical applications in fields such as materials science and energy production.

5. What are some current developments in the study of Hawking radiation and the LHC?

Recent developments include the discovery of the Higgs boson, a particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics, and the ongoing search for new particles and phenomena. Scientists are also working on improving the precision and sensitivity of the LHC experiments to gather more data and further our understanding of Hawking radiation and other fundamental processes.