Question a/b pressure variation equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the pressure variation equation and how it can be used to determine the maximum depth at which organisms can survive under the sea. The professor provides a solution using the equation, and the person asking for help also attempts to solve the problem. However, they are unsure about their solution and ask for clarification. The conversation also mentions the pressure difference between the atmosphere and the inside of the lungs.
starburst
Hi everyone, i have a question abuot how my professor is using the pressure variation equation and I would really appreciate help with it!

Homework Statement

How high can you suck water up a strw? The pressure in the lungs can be reduced to about 10 kPa below atmospheric pressure

2. Professor's Solution

P=Patm+ρgd --> d=(P-Patm)/ρg --> d=(10 kPa)/(1000 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 1.0 m

3. My attempt at the problem

P=Patm+ρgd --> d=(P-Patm)/ρg --> d=(101.3 kPa-(1atm-10 kPa)/(1000 kg/m^3] * 9.8 m/s^2) =

What is wrong with my attempt at the solution.

Another example of my professor's solution is in this problem:

Homework Statement

The maximum pressure most organisms can survive is abotu 1000 times atmospheric pressure. ONly small, simple organisms such as tadpoles and bacteria can survive such high pressure. What then is the maximum depth at whic these organisms can live under the sea (assuming that the density of seawater is 1025 kg/m^3?

2. Professors Solution

P=Patm+ρgd --> d=(P-Patm[/SUB)/ρg --> d=(1000 atm)/(1025 kg/m3 * 9.8 m/s2) * (1.013e5 Pa/atm) = 10 km

Why does 1000 atm= P-Patm[/SUB) ? wouldn't P-Patm[/SUB) be (1000*1 atm)-(1atm)?

I would really appreciate some help with this problem! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the pressure in your lungs can be reduced 10 kPa below atmospheric, what is the difference in pressure between the atmosphere and the inside of your lungs?

Thank you very mcuh for your reply

1 atm - 10 kPa?

Related to Question a/b pressure variation equation

1. What is the pressure variation equation and how is it used in science?

The pressure variation equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas. It is commonly used in science to calculate the change in pressure when other variables are known, or to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions.

2. What are the variables in the pressure variation equation and how do they affect each other?

The variables in the pressure variation equation are pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T). They are all interdependent and affect each other in a specific way. According to the equation, when volume decreases, pressure increases, and when temperature increases, pressure increases as well.

3. How is the pressure variation equation derived?

The pressure variation equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is derived from the combination of three gas laws: Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. These laws describe the behavior of gases under different conditions and when combined, they form the ideal gas law.

4. Can the pressure variation equation be applied to all gases?

The pressure variation equation is applicable to most gases, as it is based on the ideal gas law. However, it is important to note that the ideal gas law is an approximation and may not accurately describe the behavior of all gases, especially at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. How is the pressure variation equation used in everyday life?

The pressure variation equation has various practical applications in everyday life, such as in weather forecasting, scuba diving, and gas laws used in the production of food and beverages. It is also used in the design of engines, refrigerators, and other devices that involve gases.