Question: "A child on a sled (m=47.0 kg) slides down a long hill "

• Thread starter Jaimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding a child sliding down a hill on a sled and the different aspects of energy involved. The total mechanical energy present was calculated to be 4606 J and the child's speed at the bottom of the hill was determined to be 14m/s. The question of whether this defies the law of conservation of energy was brought up, with the conclusion that it does not since some of the initial energy is converted into thermal energy due to friction. The final speed of 5m/s is an expected result, taking into account the effects of friction.
Jaimie
Hi,
I know this question has been posted before but could someone advise me if my answer for c) is accurate? I really want to make sure I understand how this works. The entire question is:

"A child on a sled (m=47.0 kg) slides down a long hill starting from a rest position at a point 10.0 m
higher in elevation than his finishing point.
a) What is the total mechanical energy present?
b) Assuming that there is no friction and no external pushes, determine the child's speed at the bottom of the hill.
c) The child's speed at the bottom of the hill is actually 5.0 m/s. Explain whether or not this defies the law of conservation of energy.

I've calculated both a) & b) as 4606 J and 14m/s respectively.
But I am having trouble with c). My answer is ...

"This does not defy the law of conservation of energy. The conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system can be neither be created nor destroyed (remains constant) and must be converted into another form. It is defined by the equation Einitial = Efinal or ETOTAL = EG + EK, the latter of which refers to the total mechanical energy in the system in the absence of friction. In real life however, many situations including sliding along a surface, involve friction. Friction causes the conversion of the kinetic energy (EK) into thermal energy (ETH) or heat as opposed to it all being converted into kinetic energy. So the Efinal or ET would actually be equal the sum of Ek and ETH, where EG is equal to zero. This upholds the energy conservation law. As kinetic energy is directly proportional and depends on velocity (as per its equation Ek = 1/2mv2), by decreasing the velocity, we would be decreasing the amount of kinetic energy, where the loss of energy would be accounted for by thermal energy".

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct - but you have over-written your answer. You don;t need a lecture - just to show you understood what is going on.

"5m/s for the final speed is less than the 14m/s calculated; however, the calculation neglected friction and assumed all the initial energy was converted to kinetic, so this is expected. The result just means that some of the initial energy went elsewhere - probably via friction. (i.e. Heat, sound, etc)"

Thank you Simon!

Related to Question: "A child on a sled (m=47.0 kg) slides down a long hill "

1. What is the mass of the child on the sled?

The mass of the child on the sled is 47.0 kg.

2. What is the direction of the child's motion?

The child's motion is in the direction of the hill, which is downhill.

3. What forces are acting on the child and sled?

The forces acting on the child and sled are gravity and friction.

4. How does the mass of the child affect the motion of the sled?

The mass of the child affects the motion of the sled by increasing the inertia and making it more difficult to accelerate or change direction.

5. How does the steepness of the hill affect the speed of the sled?

The steepness of the hill affects the speed of the sled by increasing the force of gravity acting on the sled, causing it to accelerate and increase in speed.