Question about a derivation: velocity and position

In summary, the problem is that we need to derive an equation for the movement of a body on a curved surface, depending on both z and z' (and time), using calculus.
Cathr
I started studying Lagrangian mechanics, and the movement equation is like this:
d/dt (d/dz') L - d/dz L = 0 if the movement is on the z axis.

Now the problem is, let's say L = M(z')2/2 - Mgz. How do we derivate an expression depending of z with respect to z' and also , an expression depending of z' with respect to z? I know they're interdependent, but I am a bit confused.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cathr said:
I started studying Lagrangian mechanics
Kudos ! In order to benefit even more from PF, a small investment in studying ##\TeX## would also be very beneficial :smile:
$${d\over dt}\left ( d\mathcal L \over d\dot z \right ) - {d\mathcal L \over dz} = 0$$ $$ {\mathcal L} = {\scriptstyle {1\over 2}} m\dot z^2 - mgz$$looks an awful lot better, doesn't it ?

The thing is to treat ##z## and ##\dot z## as independent variables in the Euler-Lagrange equations, even though you know ##\dot z = {dz\over dt}##. In your case you substitute the lower one (##\mathcal L ##) in the top one and take the derivatives: $$ {d\over dt}\Bigl ( m\dot z\Bigr ) - mg = 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad \ddot z = g $$which is the expected equation of motion.

BvU said:
Kudos ! In order to benefit even more from PF, a small investment in studying ##\TeX## would also be very beneficial :smile:
$${d\over dt}\left ( d\mathcal L \over d\dot z \right ) - {d\mathcal L \over dz} = 0$$ $$ {\mathcal L} = {\scriptstyle {1\over 2}} m\dot z^2 - mgz$$looks an awful lot better, doesn't it ?

The thing is to treat ##z## and ##\dot z## as independent variables in the Euler-Lagrange equations, even though you know ##\dot z = {dz\over dt}##. In your case you substitute the lower one (##\mathcal L ##) in the top one and take the derivatives: $$ {d\over dt}\Bigl ( m\dot z\Bigr ) - mg = 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad \ddot z = g $$which is the expected equation of motion.

Thank you! Why should we treat them differently, is there an explanation for that?
And yes, I will definitely stydy LaTeX once I pass my exams :)

Cathr said:
Why should we treat them differently, is there an explanation for that?
We don't treat them differently, on the contrary. Only as 'independent' varables
The Euler-Lagrange equation is established using calculus of variations. The path of least action leads to the EL equations. Deviations from the path can be in ##z## and also in ##\dot z##

Likes Cathr
Technically the equation should be written
$${d\over dt}\left ( \partial\mathcal L \over \partial\dot z \right ) - {\partial\mathcal L \over \partial z} = 0$$
The difference between the total derivative, ##d##, and the partial derivative, ##\partial##, is precisely this. The partial derivative considers all other variables to be constants while the total derivative needs to compute how much any other variable changes with respect to any changes in the differentiation variable.

Likes Cathr and BvU
Cathr said:
How do we derivate an expression depending of z with respect to z' and also , an expression depending of z' with respect to z? I
No, you *derive partially* an expression (the Lagrangian, in this case) depending on *both* z and z' (and depending on time, in general):
L = L(z, z', t).
The difference from the "total derivative" with respect to a variable u:
dL/du
and the partial derivative with respect to a variable q:
∂L/∂q
where in this case q can be z, or z' or t (because L, as I wrote, depends "explicitly" to those variables) and where u can be a variable from which the others can depend (z and z' in this case depends on t), has already explained to you.
Anyway, you should have some basic knowledge of calculus in more variables to understand all this, it's impossible to write an entire course on the subject here.

--
lightarrow

Related to Question about a derivation: velocity and position

1. How is velocity related to position in a derivation?

The derivative of position with respect to time is equal to the velocity at that point in time. This means that the change in position over time is equal to the velocity at that specific moment.

2. Can you explain the concept of a derivative in relation to velocity and position?

A derivative is a mathematical tool used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function. In the case of velocity and position, the derivative of position with respect to time gives the velocity at a specific moment in time.

3. What is the formula for finding velocity from a position-time graph?

The formula for finding velocity from a position-time graph is the slope of the graph, which is equal to the derivative of position with respect to time.

4. How do you find the position from a velocity-time graph?

The position can be found by calculating the area under the velocity-time graph. This is because the area under a velocity-time graph represents the change in position over time.

5. How does acceleration play a role in the relationship between velocity and position?

The derivative of velocity with respect to time is equal to acceleration. This means that the change in velocity over time is equal to the acceleration at that specific moment. Acceleration is also the second derivative of position with respect to time, showing the relationship between all three variables.