Question about activation energy and reaction rates.

In summary: The first idea is about the total energy of the system, while the second is specifically about the energy required to remove a nucleophile from its solvation shell. In summary, temperature and kinetic energy are directly related, leading to an increase in the energy of reactants and the rate of reaction. However, in nucleophilic reactions, the stronger the solvation of the nucleophile, the greater the energy required to remove it from its solvation shell, thus lowering the rate of reaction. These ideas may seem contradictory, but they are actually measuring different types of energy.
yungwun22

Homework Statement

I know that temperature and kinetic energy are related, so as temperature increases the energy of the reactants as well as the amount of collisions and bonds formed, increases. I take this as meaning that the rate increases. But I also read in my organic book that in nucleophilic reactions, the stronger the solvation of the nucleophile, the greater the energy required to remove the nucleophile from it's solvation shell to reach the solvation state will be, lowering the rate of reaction. These ideas seem contradictory.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first idea has to do more with internal energy of the system and the second with activation energy in terms of maybe Gibbs free energy or enthalpy, but I'm not too sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are comparing apples and oranges. Try to elaborate on why do you think these ideas are contradictory.

Borek said:
Try to elaborate on why do you think these ideas are contradictory.

Because the rate increases in the first and decreases in the second, but that there is an increase of energy in both scenarios. I felt that there should be a high reaction rate in the second scenario as well.

These are completely different energies, so you can't compare them.

Related to Question about activation energy and reaction rates.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds of the reactant molecules and initiate the reaction.

2. How does activation energy affect reaction rates?

The higher the activation energy, the slower the reaction rate. This is because a higher activation energy means that a larger amount of energy is needed for the reaction to occur, making it less likely for the reaction to take place.

3. Can the activation energy of a reaction be changed?

Yes, the activation energy of a reaction can be changed by altering the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature or concentration of reactants. Increasing the temperature or concentration can lower the activation energy, making the reaction occur faster.

4. How does a catalyst affect activation energy?

A catalyst is a substance that can lower the activation energy of a reaction, making it easier for the reaction to occur. This is because the catalyst provides an alternate pathway for the reaction to take place, requiring less energy to break the bonds of the reactants.

5. What is the relationship between activation energy and the rate constant?

The rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the reaction rate to the concentration of reactants. It is affected by the activation energy, as a higher activation energy will result in a lower rate constant and a slower reaction rate.