Question about and request for a certain type of integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving substitution in an integral with the bounds (1,9), where the square root of y in dt is confusing. It is pointed out that there is a typo in the problem, as the integration limit should be \sqrt{y}, not \sqrt{4}. This typo resolves the confusion and allows the problem to be solved correctly. The steps to reduce the problem to one integral are also explained.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9455/67043570.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2449/50431877.jpg

The part I got confused at was during the substitution.

I understand that there is a bound change (1,9) because we just sub in the values of y (0, 4) into t. What I got confused about was what happened to the y^(1/2) in dt. To be honest, I've not encountered a problem like this before, usually when making the substitution I've only ever had to get rid of constants hanging around.

Also, pointers to any other problems like this would be very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the square root of y is missing from the expression. Can you show the steps you take to get from two integrals to one?

There is a typo in the problem: the integration limit [itex]\sqrt{4} [/itex] should be [itex]\sqrt{y} [/itex]

No, it's not missing, those are the steps given in the solutions.

To reduce it to one integral you basically just integrate the first inner integrand, since the order is reversed, that means it becomes x ln ( 1 + y^(3/2)), and substituting the new bounds you will get that remaining integral.

I think to get 2/3 du, they just solve for y^(1/2)dy = 2/3du in the du equation, but that doesn't explain what happens to the constant 2 in the expression.

clamtrox said:
There is a typo in the problem: the integration limit [itex]\sqrt{4} [/itex] should be [itex]\sqrt{y} [/itex]

Yes, it is sqrt(y), I just eliminated the initial stuff from the copy because I felt that people would realize that along the way, sorry for any confusion.

So when you take this typo into account, it all works out perfectly.

clamtrox said:
So when you take this typo into account, it all works out perfectly.

I'm not sure I quite follow how it's a typo though?

Oh...I see now! Gee, that really had me going. Thanks a lot!

Related to Question about and request for a certain type of integration problem

What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the volume of a shape by using integration techniques. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields of science and engineering.

What are the different types of integration problems?

There are several types of integration problems, including definite integrals, indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and multiple integrals. Definite integrals involve finding the area under a curve between two points, while indefinite integrals involve finding an antiderivative of a function. Improper integrals involve integrals with infinity or undefined limits, and multiple integrals involve integrating over two or more variables.

What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration has numerous real-world applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and determining the total mass of an object by integrating its density function. It is also used in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields.

What is the process for solving an integration problem?

The process for solving an integration problem involves first identifying the type of integral and then using appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions, to evaluate the integral. It is important to pay attention to the limits of integration and to check for any possible mistakes in the calculations.

What are some tips for solving integration problems?

Some tips for solving integration problems include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts and techniques, and breaking down complex integrals into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to check your answers using a graphing calculator or online integral calculator to ensure accuracy.