Question about binary counter with jk flip-flops

In summary, the conversation discusses using jk-flip-flops to create a binary counter and the process of determining the next state using the excitation table and minimizing the j and k columns using karnaugh-maps. The question is whether to record when j or k are zero or only when they are at logic 1. The response is that you can record the k-map according to the inputs and pair, quad, or octal "1" with "X". It is also mentioned that in some cases, one column may only have don't care or zero values and can be ignored.
James889
Hi,

Let's say i want to make a binary counter using jk-flip-flops that counts 1,3,5,7,1...

Then i'd use the excitation table for the jk-flip-flop to determine the next state.

The next step would be to use karnaugh-maps to minimize the j and k columns.

My question is: Do i need to record, in the karnaugh-maps, when j or k is zero or only when they are at logic 1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
you won't get zero for both j and k.. You will have either "zero" or "one" or "dont care(X)"..
So therefore you can record k-map according to i/p's.. I hope you know, that we can pair,quad,octal "1" with "X".

jerin_007 said:
you won't get zero for both j and k.. You will have either "zero" or "one" or "dont care(X)"..
So therefore you can record k-map according to i/p's.. I hope you know, that we can pair,quad,octal "1" with "X".

Hi,

So if one column for either J or K turn out to have only don't care or zero, i can just ignore it?

You will get a 1 at some point for sure.. Try solving one problem!
I haven't encountered having only 0 or X situation.

FAQ: Question about binary counter with jk flip-flops

1. How does a binary counter with JK flip-flops work?

A binary counter with JK flip-flops is a digital circuit that can count in binary, meaning it can count up in powers of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.). The JK flip-flops are used to store and manipulate the count values, with each flip-flop representing a specific digit in the binary number. As the count value increases, the flip-flops toggle between 0 and 1, creating a binary count sequence.

2. What are the advantages of using JK flip-flops in a binary counter?

JK flip-flops have the advantage of being able to toggle between two states (0 and 1) based on specific input conditions. This makes them ideal for use in binary counters, as they can easily represent the two digits in a binary number. Additionally, JK flip-flops have a built-in clock input, allowing for synchronous counting operations.

3. Can a binary counter with JK flip-flops count in both directions (up and down)?

Yes, a binary counter with JK flip-flops can count in both directions. This can be achieved by using additional logic gates, such as AND and OR gates, to control the input conditions of the flip-flops. By manipulating these input conditions, the counter can be made to count up or down depending on the desired direction.

4. How many flip-flops are needed to create a binary counter with a specific number of bits?

The number of flip-flops needed for a binary counter depends on the number of bits desired. Each bit requires one flip-flop, so a 4-bit counter would require four flip-flops. Additionally, one extra flip-flop is needed for the clock input. So a 4-bit binary counter with JK flip-flops would require a total of five flip-flops.

5. Can a binary counter with JK flip-flops be used for applications other than counting?

Yes, a binary counter with JK flip-flops can be used for other applications besides counting. For example, they can be used in digital clocks, frequency dividers, and sequence generators. They can also be combined with other logic gates to create more complex circuits for various purposes.