Question about BS degrees, about to transfer

• Programs
  • Thread starter adictd2b00st
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the speaker is seeking input on their decision to pursue a BS degree after completing their Associates in Mechanical Engineering Technology. They have been accepted to both Rochester Institute of Technology and Temple University, with RIT offering a traditional MET degree and Temple offering a BSET degree. The speaker is wondering if it would look "bad" to have a less specialized degree from Temple, but notes that most job listings only require an engineering technology related degree. They are considering Temple because it would be quicker and cheaper, but RIT offers a co-op program. The speaker asks for insights into the differences between the two degrees. Another person in the conversation is also considering transferring to Temple for a degree in civil engineering.
adictd2b00st
Hey everyone, was looking for some input please! I just finished my Associates in Mechanical Engineering Technology and am looking to move on to my BS degree. I got accepted to Rochester Institute of Technology and Temple University. RIT has the traditional MET degree, while Temple has a BSET which is a bachelors of science in engineering technology. Would it look "bad" to go get the degree from Temple, because it doesn't sound as "specialized"? Or in the end does it not really matter because it looks like most job listings just say an engineering technology related degree as the requirement? Reason I ask is because Temple would be a quicker way to finish (they told me 3 semesters based on my credits) and cheaper, so I am considering it. RIT I am looking at another 3 yrs, however a year of that is co-ops. Any insight into the differences in degrees from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
97 views and nobody has ANY thoughts on this?

Give it some time someone will respond. I can't answer your question, but I also have been accepted to temple as a engineering transfer student, so I am interested to hear what people have to say about Temple. My decesions lies in whether I stay at Stockton State College and pursue a 4 +1 Master's degree in computational science or transfer to Temple to pursue a degree in civil engineering. Anyway good luck!

EG

FAQ: Question about BS degrees, about to transfer

1. What is a BS degree?

A BS degree, or Bachelor of Science degree, is an undergraduate academic degree awarded to students who have completed a program in the sciences, mathematics, or engineering. It typically takes four years to complete and requires a combination of general education courses, major-specific courses, and electives.

2. What is the difference between a BS degree and a BA degree?

The main difference between a BS degree and a BA degree is the focus of the coursework. A BS degree typically has a stronger emphasis on math and science, while a BA degree has a broader focus on liberal arts and humanities. Additionally, a BS degree may require more lab work and research projects, while a BA degree may require more writing and critical thinking assignments.

3. Can I transfer from a community college to a university with a BS degree?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a community college to a university with a BS degree. However, it is important to research and plan ahead to ensure that the courses you take at the community college will transfer to the university and count towards your BS degree requirements.

4. Are there any benefits to earning a BS degree?

There are several potential benefits to earning a BS degree. It can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries in certain fields. It may also provide a strong foundation for pursuing graduate studies in a related field.

5. What can I do with a BS degree?

A BS degree can lead to a variety of career paths depending on the specific field of study. Some common career options for those with a BS degree include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, environmental consultant, and healthcare professional. It is important to research potential career options and speak with academic advisors to determine the best path for your interests and goals.

Back