Question about Center of Gravity

In summary: Due to the complicated forces a boat experiences on water, a simple calculation can help to compare boats.
Harald 1966
Hi!
I am new to the forum.
I have a short question:
I have uploaded drawings of two "speed boats" with fuel systems.
Which boat got the best CG?
The one with one, or the one with two fuel tanks?

What do you think.

Attachments

• Boat 1a.jpg
    Boat 1a.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Boat 2a.jpg
    Boat 2a.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
Best meaning lowest?

Well for the CoG weight is very important and missing in the pictures. Still i would say the first ( personal opinion, that has to come out).

Yes, I mean lowest! (Best stability.)

Everything is off course theoretical.

The weight of the boat is the same in both examples.
The weight of the fuel is also the same, 2 lb. (Small RC boat)
The area of one big tank is the same as the area of the two small combined, meaning length of all tanks will be the same.

If you ballance on a thin rope, why do you lift arms up and out if best CoG is keeping arms down close to your boudy?

What do you think?

Harald 1966 said:
Yes, I mean lowest! (Best stability.)

Everything is off course theoretical.

The weight of the boat is the same in both examples.
The weight of the fuel is also the same, 2 lb. (Small RC boat)
The area of one big tank is the same as the area of the two small combined, meaning length of all tanks will be the same.

If you ballance on a thin rope, why do you lift arms up and out if best CoG is keeping arms down close to your boudy?

What do you think?

In this case the first boat layout is best ( no more personals)
Cause the lower the fuel is the lower the CoG is.
Btw a 2 lb fuel tank is insignifiant considering that the boat is probably 100 times heavier.
Best to just make the fuel tank as you wish ( comfort and overall design where the second layout might be better) and sit in the boat in the lowest position as your 160 lb really make a difference.

The total boat is 25 lb included 2 lb fuel,

but why do you take arms up and out to gain ballance and stability?

Can anyone please help me compare them by doing a simplyfied calculation?

Harald 1966 said:

I don't really understand this question.

Theoretically speaking, the first one(fuel being in the center) will be more stable than the second.

However, my answer could be wrong due to the fact that condition may be different on sea. Many other factors must also be take into consideration, one ought to study 'maritime engineering' to have a total grasp on it.

But then again, is there such things as an absolute? I believe not.

Harald 1966 said:

If you're walking on a rope your center of gravity will be above your feet, so you
will be unstable anyway. If you stand still you'll fall. To keep upright you have to
move your arms.

If you start falling to the right, you can stick an arm out to the right and move the
rest of your body somewhat to the left. This will move your center of gravity to the
left, so you can stop falling.

willem2 said:
If you're walking on a rope your center of gravity will be above your feet, so you
will be unstable anyway. If you stand still you'll fall. To keep upright you have to
move your arms.

If you start falling to the right, you can stick an arm out to the right and move the
rest of your body somewhat to the left. This will move your center of gravity to the
left, so you can stop falling.

But does the theory apply on water? That explain why I choose the center one instead

Consider also the resistance towards a rolling motion of the boat, caused e.g. by a wave pushing it up only on one side. The divided tank will provide more rotational inertia and the boat will be less likely to roll around its axis of motion.

A speed boat experiences very complicated/chaotic forces on an uneven sea. It's probably best to go for a tried and true design, so as not to cause any uneccesary risk. If innovation is not an important design goal, that is.

Torquil

The article below article discusses stability of ships (and boats). The center of gravity may be above the center of buoyancy, but must be below the metacenter. The distance between the center of gravity and the metacenter is related to the stability of the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height

Bob S

Last edited:
Harald 1966 said:
Can anyone please help me compare them by doing a simplyfied calculation?
Why do you need a calculation? Is this a homework problem?

FAQ: Question about Center of Gravity

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which an object's entire weight is concentrated and through which the force of gravity acts. It is also known as the center of mass.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of all the individual points of an object. This can be done by dividing the sum of the products of each individual point's mass and distance from a reference point by the total mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is affected by the distribution of an object's mass. Objects with a more spread out mass have a lower center of gravity, while objects with a more concentrated mass have a higher center of gravity. The shape and size of an object also play a role in determining its center of gravity.

4. Why is the center of gravity important?

The center of gravity is important because it helps determine how stable an object is. Objects with a low center of gravity are more stable and less likely to tip over, while objects with a high center of gravity are less stable and more likely to tip over.

5. How does the center of gravity affect balance?

The location of an object's center of gravity directly impacts its balance. If an object's center of gravity is not aligned with its base of support, it will be off balance and may fall over. Maintaining a low center of gravity is important for maintaining balance and stability.