Question about data encryptoin.

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using software to encrypt data on one end and decrypt it on the other without transferring the key between the two. The concept of public key encryption is mentioned as a potential solution, and a helpful link to a wiki article is provided. The individual expresses gratitude for the assistance in learning more about this topic.
Pattonias
I was wondering if there is software that will encrypt the data on one end transmit it, then decrypt it on the other end without actually transmitting the key. The key would be held on the sending and receiving end without ever being transferred between the two. It would be manually installed on both computers and used to encrypt and decrypt without revealing the key over the network?

Perhaps this already occurs and I am unaware?

Just tryine to learn a little bit more.

Technology news on Phys.org
Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I had tried searching myself, but found way too much information all at once.

Related to Question about data encryptoin.

What is data encryption?

Data encryption is the process of converting plain, readable data into a coded format, known as ciphertext, to prevent unauthorized access to the information.

How does data encryption work?

Data encryption uses an algorithm to scramble the data into ciphertext, using a key to control the transformation. The same key is required to decrypt the ciphertext and convert it back to its original, readable form.

Why is data encryption important?

Data encryption is important because it helps protect sensitive information from being accessed by unauthorized individuals. It also ensures the privacy and confidentiality of data, making it an essential security measure for organizations and individuals.

What types of data can be encrypted?

Various types of data can be encrypted, including text, images, videos, and files. Essentially, any type of digital data can be encrypted to protect its confidentiality.

Are there different types of encryption?

Yes, there are different types of encryption, such as symmetric and asymmetric encryption, as well as different algorithms used for encryption, such as AES, RSA, and DES.