Question about electric potential energy - need confirmation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential energy per ion for an infinite one-dimensional ionic crystal and provides a calculation for this value using a power series expansion. The last two steps are questionable and there is a hint to read the question carefully to find an easier solution.
Kelvin
This is a homework problem of a EM course:

Calculate the potential energy, per ion, for an infinite one-dimensional ionic crystal, that is, a row of equally spaced charges of magnitude e and alternating sign.
Hint: The power series expansion of ln(1+x) may be useful.

Here's my calculation:

Let [tex]u_n[/tex] be the potential energy when there is n charges.
[tex]u_1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]u_2 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{-e^2}{d}[/tex] where d is the separation of two charges

[tex]u_3 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( 2\times \frac{-e^2}{d} + \frac{e^2}{2d}\right)[/tex]

[tex]u_4 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( 3 \times \frac{-e^2}{d} + 2 \times \frac{e^2}{2d} + \frac{-e^2}{3d}\right)[/tex]

[tex]u_n = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( (n-1) \times \frac{-e^2}{d} + (n-2) \times \frac{e^2}{2d} + \dots + \frac{(-1)^{n-1} e^2}{(n-1)d}\right)[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 d} \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{(-1)^i (n-i)}{i}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 d} \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} (-1)^{i-1} \left( 1- \frac{n}{i} \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 d} \left( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} (-1)^{i-1} - n \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}\frac{(-1)^{i-1}}{i} \right)[/tex]

potential energy per ion
= [tex]u_n/n = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 d} \left( \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} (-1)^{i-1} - \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}\frac{(-1)^{i-1}}{i} \right)[/tex]

as n tends to infinity,

[tex]u_n/n = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 d}\left( 0 - \ln 2 \right)[/tex]

I am not sure my last 2 steps are correct or not. The series [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}(-1)^{i-1}[/tex] diverges as n tends to infinity. If we divide the series by n, do we get really zero?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
While you probably don't need this since it was 6 years ago: I just completed this problem on a practice GRE test and the solution is easier if you read the question closely. It asks for the potential energy per ion, as opposed to the entire system. This allows the summation to fall out with a ln(2) included. Hope this helps to future readers!

Related to Question about electric potential energy - need confirmation

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential energy that is associated with the electrostatic force between two charged particles.

2. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are directly related. Electric potential is the measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is the product of electric potential and the amount of charge present at a point.

3. What is the formula for electric potential energy?

The formula for electric potential energy is given by U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy between two charges is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa. This is because the electrostatic force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two charges have opposite signs, and the force between them is attractive. In this case, the electric potential energy is considered negative because work must be done to separate the charges, and work is required to bring them back together.

Back