Question about Euclid and Prime numbers.

In summary: This is a question i just got in the coursera material.Euclid's proof that there are infinitely many primes uses the fact that if p1…,pn are the first n primes, then the number N=(p1...pn)+1 is prime. True or False.The answer was False.
Iccanui

Homework Statement

This is a question i just got in the coursera material.

Euclid's proof that there are infinitely many primes uses the fact that if p1…,pn are the first n primes, then the number N=(p1...pn)+1 is prime. True or False.

The answer was False
I answered true and i THINK i understand why i was wrong.Am i correct in assuming that because p is undefined that p1...pn, etc could be any number. Any number + 1 could be composite or prime and that's why its false. There is no PROOF.As always, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Euclid's proof shows that IF there are only finitely many prime numbers, then the product of all the primes plus 1 is a prime; it's an "indirect proof". Euclid starts by assuming the theorem is false and shows this leads to a contradiction. But if we drop the IF, we can't show that the product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime by this method. And in fact, it's not true that the product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime. There is a counterexample, which it would be fun for you to find.

awkward said:
Euclid's proof shows that IF there are only finitely many prime numbers, then the product of all the primes plus 1 is a prime
No, it doesn't. Pretty much by definition, IF there were only finitely many primes, the product of all of them, plus 1, can't be a prime!

; it's an "indirect proof". Euclid starts by assuming the theorem is false and shows this leads to a contradiction. But if we drop the IF, we can't show that the product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime by this method. And in fact, it's not true that the product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime. There is a counterexample, which it would be fun for you to find.
Euclid's proof shows that if there were a only a finite number of primes, then their product plus one, because it has remainder 1 when divided by any of those primes, either is a new prime or is divisible by a prime not on that list, either way giving a contradiction.

Well, assume there are only finitely many primes, and let's say x is the product of all the primes, plus 1. Since x is not divisible by any prime less than x, x must be prime.

But it's futile to argue what does or does not follow if there are only finitely many primes, because the assumption that there are only finitely many primes leads to a contradiction. In the presence of a contradiction, all statements are true.

Last edited:
awkward said:
Well, assume there are only finitely many primes, and let's say x is the product of all the primes, plus 1. Since x is not divisible by any prime less than x, x must be prime.
No, you don't know that "x is not divisible by any prime less than x". You only know that x is either prime or divisible by some prime larger than any of the primes you multiplied to get x. There may be a prime between the largest prime in the list and x.

But it's futile to argue what does or does not follow if there are only finitely many primes, because the assumption that there are only finitely many primes leads to a contradiction. In the presence of a contradiction, all statements are true.
it is NOT futile to argue about what the contradiction is since you need to be sure there is a contradiction!

Last edited by a moderator:
awkward said:

HallsofIvy said:
No, you don't know that "x is not divisible by any prime less than x". You only know that x is either prime or divisible by some prime larger than any of the primes you multiplied to get x. There may be a prime between the largest prime in the list and x. it is NOT futile to argue about what the contradiction is since you need to be sure there is a contradiction!

It seems to me that awkward has a point. The hypothesis is that are finitely many primes and they are ##p_1,p_2,...p_n##. Call their product ##P##. Then ##x= P+1##, as you note, is either divisible by some prime larger than any of the primes you multiplied to get ##P## (it can't be because you have listed all the primes) or it itself is prime. So it is prime, which is a contradiction to the fact that they were all listed. I don't see why the argument can't be phrased this way.

[Edit]:Never mind. I didn't read carefully enough what awkward said to which you were responding.

Last edited:

Related to Question about Euclid and Prime numbers.

What is Euclid's Contribution to Prime Numbers?

Euclid's Contribution to Prime Numbers is his famous proof that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. In his proof, he showed that if you multiply all the known prime numbers together and then add one, the resulting number will either be a prime number itself or have a prime factor that was previously unknown.

What is Euclid's Algorithm for Finding the Greatest Common Divisor?

Euclid's Algorithm is a method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers. It works by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and then using the remainder as the new smaller number. This process is repeated until the remainder is equal to zero, at which point the GCD is the last non-zero remainder.

How Did Euclid Define Prime Numbers?

Euclid defined prime numbers as numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. In other words, a prime number has exactly two factors. This definition is still used today and is the basis for many mathematical proofs involving prime numbers.

What is the Sieve of Eratosthenes and How Does it Relate to Euclid's Work on Prime Numbers?

The Sieve of Eratosthenes is a method for finding all the prime numbers up to a given number. It works by creating a list of numbers from 2 to the given number and then crossing out all the multiples of 2, then crossing out all the multiples of 3, and so on. The numbers that are left after this process are the prime numbers. This method was developed by Eratosthenes, a Greek mathematician who was a contemporary of Euclid. Euclid's work on prime numbers laid the foundation for the development of the Sieve of Eratosthenes.

How Are Prime Numbers Used in Modern Science and Technology?

Prime numbers have many applications in modern science and technology. They are used in encryption algorithms to secure data and communication, in coding theory for error correction, and in computer science for efficient data storage and retrieval. Prime numbers also have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology, where they are used to model complex systems and patterns.