Question about filtering out the blue wavelength from lights

In summary, DaveAndy was looking for a filter to remove blue light from a light source. He found an optical filter site that was helpful and found a low pass filter that is inexpensive.
vande060
I volunteered to help out with a research project, and we need a solution for a way to filter out light of the blue wavelength from a light source. THe blue wavelength is the only wavelength we want to remove. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions? Someone from the project suggested a photographic filter, and this is a good idea, but if we bought a color filter from a photography shop how could we know that it was working? I thought we might be able to file one and put the filings in a cuvette in solution and place that in a photospectrometer to see if the peak absorbance is 440-490. Or maybe there is an optics reference book with the absorbance of materials?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm confused- are you looking for a notch filter (absorbs a waveband) or a pass filter (transmits a waveband)? Either way, why do you have to grind one up to measure the transmittance?

There are many companies that make filters- Omega, Hoya, Chroma, Semrock, Tiffen,... yours is probably a stock item, or close to one.

Andy Resnick said:
I'm confused- are you looking for a notch filter (absorbs a waveband) or a pass filter (transmits a waveband)? Either way, why do you have to grind one up to measure the transmittance?
There are many companies that make filters- Omega, Hoya, Chroma, Semrock, Tiffen,... yours is probably a stock item, or close to one.

it would seem he's looking for a low pass filter ... so from a white light source, he wants the blue end filtered out leaving all the rest to pass through.

@vande060 ... how would you know its working? easy, put a blue filter in front of the light coming out if the other filter it should be dark, ie. no blue light present to come through the blue filter

Dave

Andy: it sounds like they're looking for a notch filter to remove blue. I'm not sure if a low pass would be sufficient (it depends on whether they want to keep the UV or not).

Optical filter sites are very helpful. I just didnt really know the title of what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. I think I am looking for a notch filter. I don't want the blue light to be transmitted from the source, and I'm hoping to find a filter that will absorb it and reduce transmittance. They are pretty expensive though, maybe the photography shop has something to offer.

I actually found a list of optical properties for wratten filters(kodak company) in the crc. They are very cheap, and I have some nice quantitative data to go with them. Just in case anyone was interested, I think I'm going to suggest these to the professor.

Related to Question about filtering out the blue wavelength from lights

1. What is the purpose of filtering out the blue wavelength from lights?

The purpose of filtering out the blue wavelength from lights is to reduce the amount of blue light that is emitted. Blue light has been linked to potential negative effects on human health, such as disrupting sleep patterns and causing eye strain. Filtering out the blue wavelength can help create a more natural and comfortable environment for individuals.

2. How is the blue wavelength filtered out from lights?

There are various methods for filtering out the blue wavelength from lights, such as using blue-blocking glasses, applying specialized coatings to light bulbs, or using blue light filters on electronic devices. The specific method used will depend on the type of light source and the desired level of blue light reduction.

3. What are the benefits of filtering out the blue wavelength from lights?

Filtering out the blue wavelength from lights can have several benefits, including improved sleep quality, reduced eye strain, and decreased risk of potential negative health effects associated with prolonged exposure to blue light. It can also create a more relaxing and comfortable environment for individuals.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to filtering out the blue wavelength from lights?

While filtering out the blue wavelength from lights can have various benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. For example, removing blue light from artificial sources may affect the color perception of objects and images. Additionally, some individuals may prefer warmer, more yellow-toned light, which may be altered by filtering out blue light.

5. Can all types of lights have their blue wavelength filtered out?

Most types of artificial lights can have their blue wavelength filtered out to some extent. However, the effectiveness of filtering may vary depending on the light source and the method used. LED lights, in particular, may require specialized coatings or filters to effectively reduce blue light emissions.