Question about Finding total vector graphically

• Thread starter mxh91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: So the total vector, T = A+B+C, starts at the origin and ends at the head of vector C.In summary, the total vector T is found graphically by connecting the tails of vectors B and C to the head of vector A, and then drawing the resultant vector from the origin to the head of vector C.
mxh91

Homework Statement

The vector A has a magnitude of 5 mph and points along the x-axis, vector B has a magnitude of 8 mph and makes an angle of 150 degrees, and vector C has a magnitude of 10 mph and an angle of 255 degrees. Find the total vector T = A + B + C graphically by tracing the arrows in your notebook and drawing the total vector.

Homework Equations

How do I find the total vector of A, B, and C graphically?

The Attempt at a Solution

On my paper, I drew Vector A, B, and C at their respective angles already.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1710/vectorp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know where to draw the Total vector T. Do I connect B with A, A with C, and C with B to form a triangle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mxh91 said:

Homework Statement

The vector A has a magnitude of 5 mph and points along the x-axis, vector B has a magnitude of 8 mph and makes an angle of 150 degrees, and vector C has a magnitude of 10 mph and an angle of 255 degrees. Find the total vector T = A + B + C graphically by tracing the arrows in your notebook and drawing the total vector.

Homework Equations

How do I find the total vector of A, B, and C graphically?

The Attempt at a Solution

On my paper, I drew Vector A, B, and C at their respective angles already.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1710/vectorp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know where to draw the Total vector T. Do I connect B with A, A with C, and C with B to form a triangle?

You drew it wrong.

Attach the tail of vector B to the head (literally the arrowhead) of vector A; and then the tail of vector C to the head of vector B. Draw the restultant vector from the origin to the head of vector C.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Question about Finding total vector graphically

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically denoted by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction. Vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement.

2. How do you find the total vector graphically?

To find the total vector graphically, you must first draw each individual vector as an arrow with the correct magnitude and direction. Then, place the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector and draw a new arrow from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The total vector is the arrow that starts at the tail of the first vector and ends at the head of the second vector.

3. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted. This is known as vector addition and subtraction. When adding vectors, you simply add the magnitudes of the vectors and use the same direction as the original vectors. When subtracting, you subtract the magnitudes and use the opposite direction of the second vector.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, such as time, temperature, or mass. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. This means that two vectors with the same magnitude but different directions are considered different vectors, while two scalars with the same value are equivalent.

5. How can vectors be used in real life?

Vectors have many practical applications in real life. They are used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to calculate direction and distance. They are also used in physics and engineering to represent and analyze forces, velocities, and displacements. In addition, vectors are used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images and animations.