Question about Frechet compactness

• Thread starter facenian
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, the statement "If ##X## is a limit point compact space and a subspace of a Hausdorff space ##Z##, does it follow that ##X## is closed in ##Z##?" is false and a counter example is given in ##R^\omega## where ##R## has the usual topology.
facenian

Homework Statement

Let ##X## be a limit point compact space. If ##X## is a subspace of the Housdorff space ##Z##, does it follow that ##X## is closed in Z?

Homework Equations

A space ##X## is said to be limit point compact if every infinite subset of ##X## has a limit point.

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##X## is finite it is closed so suppose it is infinite then it has a limit point in ##X## however this does not exclude the posibility of ##X## having a limit point in ##Z## outside ##X## which implies that it is not closed in ##Z##.
Is this correct? In which case a counter example is needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:
The statement is false. Take ##Z = \mathbb{R}## with the usual topology. Then ##Z## is Hausdorff as it is metrizable and ##X = (0,1)## is not closed in ##Z##, while it is limit point compact as subspace (by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem)
The problem is that this is not a counter example. The infinite set ##\{1/(n+1):n\in Z^+\}\subset (0,1)## does not have a limit point in (0,1) so this space is not limit point compact. Given the Heine-Borel theorem for ##R^n## a counter example can exists only outside ##R^n## with the usual topology or the fact that limit point compactness and compactnes are equivalent in a metric space.

Last edited:
facenian said:
The problem is that this is not a counter example. The infinite set ##\{1/(n+1):n\in Z^+\}\subset (0,1)## does not have a limit point in (0,1) so this space is not limit point compact. Given the Heine-Borel theorem for ##R^n## a counter example can exists only outside ##R^n## with the usual topology or the fact that limit point compactness and compactnes are equivalent in a metric space.

You are right. This has been a long day for me haha. Currently studying for a functional analysis exam. I deleted my post so that it seems that you didn't get any responses (I will delete this post too)

Math_QED said:
You are right. This has been a long day for me haha. Currently studying for a functional analysis exam. I deleted my post so that it seems that you didn't get any responses (I will delete this post too)
I believe that wrong answers are also instructive though and it is not good to delete them since they may help elucidating a correct answer.

Related to Question about Frechet compactness

1. What is Frechet compactness?

Frechet compactness, also known as sequential compactness, is a property of a topological space in which every sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence. In other words, every sequence in the space has a limit point that is also in the space.

2. How is Frechet compactness different from other types of compactness?

Frechet compactness is a stronger form of compactness compared to other types such as Hausdorff compactness or countable compactness. This is because it guarantees the existence of a limit point for every sequence, while other types may only guarantee the existence of a limit point for certain types of sequences.

3. What are some examples of spaces that are Frechet compact?

All finite spaces are Frechet compact. Additionally, metric spaces such as Euclidean space and compact subsets of Euclidean space are also Frechet compact. Other examples include the Cantor set and the Baire space.

4. Why is Frechet compactness important in mathematics?

Frechet compactness is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for the study of properties of a space using sequences. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics such as analysis, topology, and functional analysis.

5. Are all compact spaces Frechet compact?

No, not all compact spaces are Frechet compact. For example, the long line, which is a non-metrizable compact space, is not Frechet compact. Additionally, the Sorgenfrey line, which is a non-compact space, is Frechet but not compact.