Question about gamma distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a set of measurements taken from a gamma pdf. The expected value and variance formulas for a gamma distribution are mentioned, but it is unclear how to use them to determine the number of measurements in a specific interval.
semidevil
so I don't even know where to start and how to approach this. suppose that a set of measurements y1, y2,...y100 were taken from a gamma pdf where E(y)= 1.5, and var(y) = .75. how many y(i's) would I expect to find in the interval (1.0, 2.5).

I have absolutely no idea where to start given my information.

so I know that gamma pdf = lamda^r / (r - 1)! * ye^(-lamda*y), for y > 0.

and i know the expected value formula and variance formula, e(y) = r/lamda and variance(y) = r/lamda^2.

but so what? what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
100*P(1<=y<=2.5)

-- AI

Don't worry, it can be overwhelming to approach a new concept like the gamma distribution. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we know that the gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is commonly used to model wait times, such as the time between customer arrivals or the lifespan of a product.

In this case, we are given the expected value and variance of the measurements, which are both properties of the gamma distribution. The expected value, denoted as E(y), is the mean or average of the measurements, and the variance, denoted as var(y), measures the spread or variability of the measurements.

Next, we are given an interval, (1.0, 2.5), and we are asked to find the number of measurements that fall within this interval. This is known as finding the probability of a range of values in a continuous distribution.

To solve this problem, we can use the probability density function (pdf) of the gamma distribution. This function, as you mentioned, is given by gamma pdf = lambda^r / (r-1)! * y^(-lambda*y), for y > 0.

We can use the properties of the gamma distribution to find the value of lambda, which is the shape parameter, and r, which is the scale parameter. From the information given, we can set up the following equations:

E(y) = r/lambda = 1.5
var(y) = r/lambda^2 = 0.75

Solving for lambda and r, we get lambda = 2 and r = 3.

Now, we can plug these values into the gamma pdf and integrate over the given interval to find the probability of the measurements falling within (1.0, 2.5). This will give us the expected number of measurements in this interval.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the properties of the gamma distribution, specifically the expected value and variance, to find the shape and scale parameters. Then, we can use the gamma pdf to find the probability of the measurements falling within the given interval. I hope this helps!

Related to Question about gamma distribution

1. What is a gamma distribution?

A gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is used to model the wait time between events. It is often used to model time-to-failure in reliability engineering, but can also be used to analyze data in other fields such as economics and biology.

2. How is a gamma distribution different from other distributions?

The main difference between a gamma distribution and other distributions is that it has two parameters, shape and scale, which allow for more flexibility in modeling different types of data. Unlike the normal distribution, which is symmetrical, the gamma distribution is skewed and can take on a variety of shapes depending on the values of its parameters.

3. What is the relationship between the gamma distribution and the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is a special case of the gamma distribution when the shape parameter is equal to 1. This means that the exponential distribution is a simplified version of the gamma distribution and is often used to model the time between events when the events occur at a constant rate.

4. How is the gamma distribution used in statistical analysis?

The gamma distribution is commonly used in statistical analysis to model skewed data, such as income or insurance claims data. It is also used in survival analysis to model the time to an event, such as the time to death or time to failure. Additionally, the gamma distribution is used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval estimation.

5. What are some real-world examples of the gamma distribution?

The gamma distribution can be applied to a wide range of real-world scenarios. Some examples include modeling the lifespan of electronic devices, analyzing the time between earthquakes, and predicting the time between customer arrivals at a store. It can also be used to model the amount of time it takes for a drug to be absorbed by the body or the time between arrivals of buses at a bus stop.