Question about kinetic energy/toughness.

• Thread starter mattyc33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the research paper mentioned a toughness of 27 J/cm^3 for spider silk, which is the amount of energy it can absorb before breaking. In a scenario where Spiderman and Mary Jane freefall from a height of 66.9m and are stopped by a 1.00cm diameter strand of web fired upwards from the same height, the question asks for their maximum combined mass if all of their kinetic energy is absorbed by the spider silk. Using tensile strength, the equation for their mass is 2.7x10^7N/m^2 = m(9.81)/0.669. However, this gives a physically impossible result as it only matches gravity and does not bring them to a
mattyc33
Another quantity recorded in the aforementioned research paper is the toughness of the spider silk,
found to be 27 J/cm^3 . Toughness is the amount of energy that an object can absorb, per unit volume of the object, before breaking.

Spiderman and Mary Jane freefall a height 66.9m before having their fall halted by a strand of web 1.00cm in diameter fired upwards a height 66.9m (so the strand of web is long). If all of their kinetic energy is absorbed by the spider silk, what is their maximum combined mass?

I think I understand the question. Our prof. has taught us about Tensile strength so I'm sure we're supposed to apply it here.

Tensile strength = F/A

What I did was change 27J/cm^3 to N/m^2 to get 2.7x10^7N/m^2.

Since they give you the length and width of the web, I converted 1.00cm to 0.01m and multiplied that by 66.9m, to get 0.669m^2.

They ask for the mass, and we've learned that in this case F = mg. Therefore I get an equation that looks something like this:

2.7x10^7N/m^2 = m(9.81)/0.669

Now I should be able to solve this easily but this gives me a huge mass which is physically impossible. I was wondering if anyone would be able to show me my error. Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattyc33 said:
Another quantity recorded in the aforementioned research paper is the toughness of the spider silk,
found to be 27 J/cm^3 . Toughness is the amount of energy that an object can absorb, per unit volume of the object, before breaking.

Spiderman and Mary Jane freefall a height 66.9m before having their fall halted by a strand of web 1.00cm in diameter fired upwards a height 66.9m (so the strand of web is long). If all of their kinetic energy is absorbed by the spider silk, what is their maximum combined mass?

I think I understand the question. Our prof. has taught us about Tensile strength so I'm sure we're supposed to apply it here.

Tensile strength = F/A

What I did was change 27J/cm^3 to N/m^2 to get 2.7x10^7N/m^2.

Since they give you the length and width of the web, I converted 1.00cm to 0.01m and multiplied that by 66.9m, to get 0.669m^2.

They ask for the mass, and we've learned that in this case F = mg. Therefore I get an equation that looks something like this:

2.7x10^7N/m^2 = m(9.81)/0.669

Now I should be able to solve this easily but this gives me a huge mass which is physically impossible. I was wondering if anyone would be able to show me my error. Thanks alot.

It is not enough to merely match gravity [mg]. That just means the object stops accelerating. Since they have already fallen 66+ metres, they will be traveling at about 35 m/s. It is not enough to stop accelerating, they need to be brought to a halt!

If the upward force from the strand was 2mg [an excess upwards force of mg] they will take a further 66+ metres to stop. [a net downward force of mg took 66+ metres for them to gain their speed, a net upward force of mg will take just as long to stop them again.

How quickly did you want to stop them?

FAQ: Question about kinetic energy/toughness.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a product of an object's mass and velocity, and it is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The resulting unit of kinetic energy is Joules (J).

What factors affect an object's kinetic energy?

The two main factors that affect an object's kinetic energy are its mass and velocity. A heavier object or one with a higher velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.

What is toughness?

Toughness is a measure of a material's ability to absorb energy without fracturing. It is typically measured in Joules per square meter (J/m^2) or foot-pounds per square inch (ft-lb/in^2).

How is toughness related to kinetic energy?

Toughness is related to kinetic energy in that a material with a high toughness will be able to absorb more kinetic energy before breaking. This is important in industries such as construction and engineering, where materials need to withstand high amounts of force and energy.

Back