Question about Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter House-Five

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of the narrator's identity in the book "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut. The narrator switches between being Kurt Vonnegut himself and a fictional protagonist, leaving the reader unsure of whose perspective is being portrayed. However, it is clarified that the book is semi-autobiographical and only the parts about aliens are fictional.
wasteofo2
I just started reading the book, and I can't figure out if the narrator of the story is supposed to be Kurt Vonnegut or not. I mean, there are a lot of times authors will narrate their own books and interject into the stories (like saying "but I digress", or "I'll tell you about him some other time), and I can't figure out if Vonnegut was actually in WWII and talking about his actual experiences, or the little "This is mostly real" disclaimer in the beginning of the book is supposed to be the fictional protagonist conversing with the reader.

Thanks,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a point in that book where the narrator is telling the anecdote of one soldier who had the runs while sitting on the latrine. He quotes the soldier (something like) "I think I'm going to s*** my brains out." and then later, "There they go!" and then the book says:

"That was me. That was I. That was the author of this book."

A lot of people point out that this was KV jumping into the book, pointing out that the narrator was someone else who was telling the story about a group of soldiers, one of whom was KV.

Yep slaughterhouse five is semi-autobiographical (only the parts about aliens tho').

FAQ: Question about Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter House-Five

1. What is the main theme of Slaughterhouse-Five?

The main theme of Slaughterhouse-Five is the concept of time and free will. The novel explores the idea that time is not linear and that events in the past, present, and future are all connected and predetermined. It also delves into the idea that humans do not have control over their own destinies, as the Tralfamadorians in the novel believe that everything that will happen has already happened.

2. How does Vonnegut use humor in Slaughterhouse-Five?

Vonnegut uses humor throughout the novel to address serious and dark topics such as war, death, and the human condition. His use of dark humor and satire helps to create a sense of absurdity and highlights the senselessness of war. It also serves as a coping mechanism for the characters and the author himself.

3. Is Slaughterhouse-Five based on a true story?

The novel is loosely based on Vonnegut's own experiences as a prisoner of war during the bombing of Dresden in World War II. However, the story and characters are fictional and Vonnegut often uses elements of science fiction and fantasy to explore his themes.

4. What does the title "Slaughterhouse-Five" refer to?

The title refers to the slaughterhouse in Dresden where the main character, Billy Pilgrim, and other prisoners of war were held during the bombing. It also alludes to the senseless slaughter of war and the idea that humans are nothing more than animals being led to slaughter.

5. How does Slaughterhouse-Five challenge traditional notions of war and heroism?

Slaughterhouse-Five challenges traditional notions of war and heroism by portraying the brutal and senseless nature of war. The novel also subverts the idea of a hero by depicting the main character, Billy Pilgrim, as an anti-hero who is passive and detached, rather than brave and courageous. Vonnegut's anti-war message is further reinforced by the use of science fiction elements and the depiction of the Tralfamadorians, who see all of human history as a senseless and never-ending cycle of destruction.