Question about linear momentum and angular

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between momentum and impulse in a rigid body with initial zero linear and angular momentum. It is determined that the vector sum of impulses and final linear momentum must be in the same direction, while angular momentum is not involved in this specific problem.
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

If an analysis of momentum and impulse, a rigid body has initial linear and angular momentum zero, does this mean that the vector sum of the impulses and the vector of LINEAR momentum final, will be in the same direction?

Homework Equations

Systema moment 1 + System Extern Impulses (1-->2) = Sistem Momenta 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I supposed that, because they are vectors, right??

Physics news on Phys.org
If we let L denote the linear momentum and I the linear impulse (both vector quantities), then
L2 - L1 = I
This is a vector equation. If (for your problem) L1 = 0, then this reduces to
L2 = I
which says that both vectors must have the same direction.

Angular momentum is not involved at all here. Why did you mention it in the original question?

Likes Queren Suriano
Ok, thank you! I was talking about angular momentum becasue it's included in an analysis for solve a problem where a rigid body is in translation and rotation.

FAQ: Question about linear momentum and angular

1. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the measure of the amount of motion an object has in a straight line. It is equal to the product of an object's mass and its velocity. Angular momentum, on the other hand, is the measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How are linear momentum and angular momentum related?

Linear momentum and angular momentum are related through the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This means that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. Any changes in the angular momentum of one object will be offset by an equal and opposite change in the angular momentum of another object in the system.

3. What is the equation for calculating linear momentum?

The equation for linear momentum is p = mv, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. This equation shows that the linear momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity.

4. How is angular momentum affected by changes in an object's moment of inertia?

According to the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity, any changes in an object's moment of inertia will result in a corresponding change in its angular velocity to maintain a constant angular momentum. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can an object have both linear and angular momentum at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both linear and angular momentum at the same time. This is because an object can have both translational motion (linear momentum) and rotational motion (angular momentum) simultaneously. For example, a spinning top has both linear and angular momentum as it moves forward and rotates around its axis.

Back