Question about miller indicies.

• Thread starter Craptola
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating Miller indices for a shaded plane in two figures. The first figure is easily identified as (1 1 1), but the second figure presents a challenge as the lattice vectors are not parallel to the edges of the cube. The solution involves defining a new set of axes parallel to the lattice vectors and determining the intercept of the plane with these axes in terms of the given lattice constant. The correct answer is (1 ∞ 0), as the plane will never intersect with the third lattice vector.
Craptola
I've come across a problem in a past paper while studying for exams, the solution is not given so I can only guess what I have to do, any guidance would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Calculate the Miller indices of the shaded plane with respect to the three primitive lattice vectors shown. In fig 1 and 2.

Untitled_zps2bea7add.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

So figure 1 is quite obviously (1 1 1), I'm not sure how to handle figure 2. The way I was taught to calculate miller indices was pretty formulaic; Define an origin, look for intercepts with the lattice vectors, take the reciprocals and voila. I've never encountered a problem in which the lattice vectors aren't parallel to the edges of the cube and it's thrown me off a little.

Is it as simple as defining another set of axes parallel to the lattice vectors and extrapolating the plane to see where it intercepts those axes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Craptola said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So figure 1 is quite obviously (1 1 1), I'm not sure how to handle figure 2. The way I was taught to calculate miller indices was pretty formulaic; Define an origin, look for intercepts with the lattice vectors, take the reciprocals and voila. I've never encountered a problem in which the lattice vectors aren't parallel to the edges of the cube and it's thrown me off a little.

Is it as simple as defining another set of axes parallel to the lattice vectors and extrapolating the plane to see where it intercepts those axes?

Yes. Find the components of the new lattice vectors in the "regular" coordinate system, and determine their intercept with the given plane, in terms of the given lattice constant. Than take the reciprocals.

ehild

Thanks. So would that make the correct answer (1 sqrt(2) 0)? Or have I completely butchered that. It looks like the plane will never intersect with a'3 making the intercept infinity the reciprocal of which being zero.

The sqrt(2) term is wrong. The Miller indices have to be integers. Find the intercept in terms of the base vectors. They need not be unit vectors.

ehild

Hello! Thank you for reaching out for guidance on this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of Miller indices and how to calculate them. In this case, for figure 2, you can use the same approach of defining an origin and looking for intercepts with the lattice vectors. However, since the lattice vectors are not parallel to the edges of the cube, you will need to use a different set of axes that are parallel to the lattice vectors. This will allow you to accurately determine the intercepts and calculate the Miller indices for the shaded plane. Don't forget to take the reciprocals and simplify the indices if necessary. I hope this helps! Good luck on your exams.

FAQ: Question about miller indicies.

1. What are Miller indices?

Miller indices are a notation system used to describe directions and planes in crystal structures. They are named after British mineralogist William Hallowes Miller.

2. How are Miller indices written?

Miller indices are written as a set of three numbers (hkl), where each number represents the intercept of a plane or direction on the three axes of a crystal lattice. The numbers are enclosed in square brackets and separated by commas.

3. What is the significance of Miller indices?

Miller indices allow scientists to easily communicate and visualize the orientation of crystal structures. They also provide important information about the symmetry and properties of crystals.

4. How are Miller indices determined?

Miller indices are determined by finding the reciprocal of the intercepts of a plane or direction on the crystal lattice. These reciprocal values are then multiplied by a common factor to obtain whole numbers.

5. What is the relationship between Miller indices and crystal planes?

Miller indices represent the orientation of crystal planes within a crystal lattice. The values of the indices indicate the relative spacing of planes and their orientation to the crystal axes.

Back