Question about Natural Units in High Energy Physics

In summary: So there are some constants that are missing. Overall, the speaker was just giving various proportionalitys and we are missing the constants. Well, time is not proportional to \frac{1}{m^2} but to \frac{1}{m}. So there are some constants that are missing. Overall, the speaker was just giving various proportionalitys and we are missing the constants.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have a quick question about the units used in high energy physics. In natural units, c = h = 1, but I keep seeing time referenced as [tex]t=\frac{1}{m^2}[/tex]. I figure there's 2 h-bars on top but that still leaves s^2. Can someone straighten me out here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you remember the speed of light, the only other combination you need to remember is [itex]\hbar c\approx[/itex] 200 MeV fm
(It's really 197.326 9631(49) according to PDG[/URL])

With unit c=1 you get that space and time are really measured in the same unit, as well as energy and mass
(and momentum, when restoring c just remember [itex]E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/itex])
So finally [itex]\hbar[/itex]=1 gives you time and mass (or space and energy) with opposite dimensions :

t ~ [itex]\hbar c[/itex]/m[itex]c^2[/itex]
x~ct
E~pc
xp~[itex]\hbar[/itex]
Et~[itex]\hbar[/itex]For instance an interaction which would be mediated by a pion (with mass 135-139 MeV/c[sup]2[/sup]) will act (with a Yukawa potential) over distances of the order of :
200/140 ~ 1.5 fm (just about twice the usual definition of the size of the proton, quite good considering the handwaviness)

The typical interaction time is also 1.5x10[sup]-9[/sup]/3x10[sup]8[/sup] ~ 5x10[sup]-18[/sup] s

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
I have a quick question about the units used in high energy physics. In natural units, c = h = 1, but I keep seeing time referenced as [tex]t=\frac{1}{m^2}[/tex]. I figure there's 2 h-bars on top but that still leaves s^2. Can someone straighten me out here? Thanks!

To add to what Humanino wrote: in natural units t=1/m. If you have seen t =1/m^2 it was a typo.

nrqed said:
To add to what Humanino wrote: in natural units t=1/m. If you have seen t =1/m^2 it was a typo.

Sorry, I meant to change it but never got around to it. In the discussions I've been seeing it, the time was proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{m^2}[/tex]. So there's some constants that I'm missing because the speaker was just showing us various proportionalitys

Pengwuino said:
Sorry, I meant to change it but never got around to it. In the discussions I've been seeing it, the time was proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{m^2}[/tex]. So there's some constants that I'm missing because the speaker was just showing us various proportionalitys

Well, time is not proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{m^2}[/tex] but to [tex]\frac{1}{m}[/tex].

Related to Question about Natural Units in High Energy Physics

What are natural units in high energy physics?

Natural units are a system of measurement in which fundamental physical constants are set to equal 1. This simplifies equations and calculations in high energy physics, as it removes the need for conversion factors.

What is the significance of using natural units in high energy physics?

Using natural units allows for a more intuitive understanding of physical phenomena, as it eliminates the need for arbitrary units and makes the equations more elegant and simplified.

How are natural units related to Planck units?

Planck units are a specific set of natural units that are based on the fundamental constants of nature, such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant. They are commonly used in high energy physics and cosmology.

What are the advantages of using natural units?

Using natural units makes calculations and equations in high energy physics more manageable and less prone to error. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of physical laws.

Are natural units used in other branches of physics?

Yes, natural units are used in many branches of physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. They are also used in other fields such as astrophysics and general relativity.