Question about naturally enhancing brain

• Medical
  • Thread starter CuriousArv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, scientists have been able to discover adult stem cells in human brains in the grey matter. It is possible to activate and control the differentiation of these stem cells into different neuron types within the human brain itself instead of a culture. If not, why not? What would one need to investigate to try to do this? What is there in the brain that produces adult stem cells?
CuriousArv
I have read that scientists have been able to discover adult stem cells in human brains in the grey matter. Is it possible to activate and control the differentiation of these stem cells into different neuron types within the human brain itself instead of a culture? If not, why not? what would one need to investigate to try to do this? What is there in the brain that produces adult stem cells?

Also maybe this is a silly question but if you increase your cranium size artificially
, would the brain expand to fill this enlarged cranium? Will it do this
regardless of age?

Biology news on Phys.org
The first question is tricky, what we need is more stem cell research of all types.

Second question is a little trickier--it all depends. Put your favorite lightweights brain into Lord Byron's massive cranium, likely a void on two accounts would exist. But the converse is not. If for whatever reason, the brain used to a well fitting house expands, bad things happen. In the worst case, it starts to get pushed out any available exit, Unfortunately, very critical structures in the midbrain are compromised as they get shoved out the hole for the spinal cord.

Your question prompted me to read a review article about adult stem cells (Temple and Alvarez-Buylla 1999). They have found neuron precursor cells in two brain locations, the olfactory bulb and the dentate gyrus.

It seems that they can indeed activate the proliferation of these "stem cells" in vivo. As for "controlling differentiation" they seem to have been optimistic about possibilities for grafting these cells and getting them to differentiate into the cell type located near the graft site. This was 1999 though, I probably should have read a newer review to find out if this was successful...

The part I found most interesting was that the stem cells in the dentate gyrus produce hippocampal neurons, this being a structure primarily involved in learning and memory. So the possibility of neurogenesis being involved in learning and memory is raised. I've never heard of neurogenesis as a mechanism for hippocampal function anywhere else... Maybe someone else here knows more about this?

Cincinnatus said:
Your question prompted me to read a review article about adult stem cells (Temple and Alvarez-Buylla 1999). They have found neuron precursor cells in two brain locations, the olfactory bulb and the dentate gyrus.

It seems that they can indeed activate the proliferation of these "stem cells" in vivo. As for "controlling differentiation" they seem to have been optimistic about possibilities for grafting these cells and getting them to differentiate into the cell type located near the graft site. This was 1999 though, I probably should have read a newer review to find out if this was successful...

It would be great if this is the case, not so much from the standpoint of increasing intelligence as treating Parkinsons and other debilitating diseases that result from the loss of relatively few neurons.

Of course the "holy grail" of this kind of research would be to develop a technique for reliably grafting stem cells into the substantia nigra and having them differentiate appropriately and make the right connections to be useful in treating parkinson's disease.

Better that than some monkey brain sludge to be sure.

FAQ: Question about naturally enhancing brain

1. How can I naturally enhance my brain?

There are several ways to naturally enhance your brain function, such as getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, eating a healthy and balanced diet, practicing mindfulness and meditation, and engaging in mentally stimulating activities like puzzles and brain teasers.

2. Are there any natural supplements or herbs that can improve brain function?

Some natural supplements and herbs, such as omega-3 fatty acids, ginkgo biloba, and bacopa monnieri, have been shown to potentially improve brain function. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements, as they may interact with other medications.

3. Can natural methods really improve memory and focus?

Yes, natural methods like the ones mentioned earlier can improve memory and focus. Getting enough sleep and eating a healthy diet can help improve cognitive function, while activities like meditation and brain exercises can improve focus and concentration.

4. How long does it take to see results from natural brain enhancement methods?

The timeline for seeing results from natural brain enhancement methods can vary from person to person. Some people may notice improvements in a matter of weeks, while others may take longer. It is important to be consistent with these methods to see the best results.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of using natural methods to enhance brain function?

In general, natural methods for enhancing brain function do not have significant risks or side effects. However, as mentioned before, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements, and to be aware of any potential interactions or allergic reactions. It is also important to practice these methods in moderation and not overdo them.