Question about particle reaction

In summary: Usually when we talk about an antiparticle it's the CP-conjugate rather than the C-conjugate.Yes, that's correct.Usually when we talk about an antiparticle it's the CP-conjugate rather than the C-conjugate.Yes, that's correct.
Clear Mind
It's an easy question, let's consider this reaction:
##N+\nu_e \rightarrow e^{-}+P##
Is this reaction possible? If is not, what does violate?

(I think is possible because charge is conserved, baryon, lepton and fermion numbers are conserved. But I'm not totally sure)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is charged-current neutrino scattering. It's one of the processes that neutrino detectors look for.

Likes Clear Mind
Yes.

However, note that for free neutrons, it is much more likely that the neutrons will decay naturally unless you have an outrageously high neutrino flux.

Likes Clear Mind
Thank you all!
dukwon said:
It's one of the processes that neutrino detectors look for.
I suppose that the cross section it's really small ...

Clear Mind said:
Thank you all!

I suppose that the cross section it's really small ...

This is why neutrino detectors are really big ... :)

From a few day I've started to study particle physics, so I'm still a little bit confused ... I was wondering:
##N+\nu_e \rightarrow e^{-}+P##
it's a weak interaction, so it should violate c-symmetry, thus:
##\bar{N}+\bar{\nu_e} \rightarrow e^{+}+\bar{P}##
shouldn't be possible ...
I'm a little puzzled :(

It is possible if you make both a charge inversion and a parity operation, since the weak force couples to left-handed fermions and right-handed antifermions.

Usually when we talk about an antiparticle it's the CP-conjugate rather than the C-conjugate.

yes it is impossible, because you turned a right-handed neutrino into a right-handed antineutrino ... which doesn't exist [in SM]

ChrisVer said:
yes it is impossible, because you turned a right-handed neutrino into a right-handed antineutrino ... which doesn't exist [in SM]

It's the other way round. Antineutrinos have to be right-handed in the Standard Model.

ChrisVer said:
Right! i was considering only charge, baryon, lepton and fermion numbers but not the parity :s

dukwon said:
It's the other way round. Antineutrinos have to be right-handed in the Standard Model.

OMG! indeed! Well I'm always forgetting the a-priori left and right... [except for when I write the doublets]...

C and CP violation do not mean the process is completely impossible. It can have a different dependence on the relative angles (P violation), or occur a bit more or less frequent even with an additional P transformation (CP violation), but it is still possible.

FAQ: Question about particle reaction

1. What is a particle reaction?

A particle reaction is a process where particles interact with each other, resulting in a change in their physical properties or formation of new particles.

2. How do particles react with each other?

Particles can react with each other through various mechanisms such as collision, absorption, or emission of energy. The type of reaction depends on the properties of the particles involved.

3. What factors affect particle reactions?

The factors that affect particle reactions include the properties of the particles (such as mass and charge), the energy of the particles, and the environment in which the reaction takes place.

4. What are the applications of particle reactions?

Particle reactions have various applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. They are used in processes such as nuclear energy production, drug development, and materials synthesis.

5. Can particle reactions be controlled?

Yes, particle reactions can be controlled by adjusting the conditions of the reaction such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. This allows scientists to manipulate the outcome of the reaction for specific purposes.