Question about permutations when n = k

• Thread starter CuriousBanker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary, the general formula for permutations is n!/(n-k)!, but in the case of n=k, the answer is undefined. However, by definition, 0!=1 and therefore the number of ways to seat 5 people in 5 chairs is 5!. This follows the convention that 0!=1. The formula for n! is n*(n-1)*...*(n-n)! and using this formula, it can be seen that 0!=1. This is just a definition and it also applies to empty sums and products.
CuriousBanker
So the general formula for permutations as I understand it is n!/(n-k)!

but what if n=k?

so let's say you want to see how many ways you can seat 5 people in 5 chairs.

then the answer would be 5!/(5-5)! which would be undefined...but logically it should be defined

what did I misunderstand here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(5-5)! = 0! = 1 (by definition), so the term is well-defined and gives you 5! = 120.

The number of ways to seat 5 people in 5 chairs is 5!.
There are 5 choices of a seat for the first person, 4 for the second, 3 for the third...

This follows the convention that ##0! = 1##.

Oh, I did not realize that 0! = 1. I'm not really sure how 0! = 1 makes any sense, but yeah, logically I assumed the answer was just 5!, I was just confused by plugging numbers into the actual formula, how to divide by 0!

CuriousBanker said:
I'm not really sure how 0! = 1 makes any sense

It's just a definition. You define the factorial recursively by [itex]0! = 1[/itex] and [itex]n! = n (n-1)![/itex] for all natural numbers. With this definition, you can compute all the factorials, for example:
[itex]3! = 3 \cdot 2! = 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1! = 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1 \cdot 0! = 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1 \cdot 1 = 6[/itex]

CuriousBanker said:
I'm not really sure how 0! = 1 makes any sense

How many ways are there to arrange 0 objects? There is 1 way.

##3! = \frac{4!}{4} = \frac{24}{4} = 6##

##2! = \frac{3!}{3} = \frac{6}{3} = 2##

##1! = \frac{2!}{2} = \frac{2}{2} = 1##

##0! = \frac{1!}{1} = \frac{1}{1} = 1##

Last edited:
MathJakob said:
How many ways are there to arrange 0 objects? There is 1 way.

##3! = \frac{4!}{4} = \frac{24}{4} = 6##

##2! = \frac{3!}{3} = \frac{6}{3} = 2##

##1! = \frac{2!}{2} = \frac{2}{2} = 1##

##0! = \frac{1!}{1} = \frac{1}{1} = 1##

The intuition behind there only being 1 way to arrange 0 objects makes sense...but what about the formula? Why is 4! equal to 5!/4? Also wouldn't that be an infinite loop, like 4!=5!/4=6!/5...etc?

CuriousBanker said:
The intuition behind there only being 1 way to arrange 0 objects makes sense...but what about the formula? Why is 4! equal to 5!/4? Also wouldn't that be an infinite loop, like 4!=5!/4=6!/5...etc?

Nope. ##4!=\frac{5!}{5}=\frac{120}{5}=24## This is not a formula it's a generalisation.

The actual formula is:

##n!=n\times(n-1)\times(n-2)\times(n-3)\times...(n-n)!##

##4!=4\times(4-1)\times(4-2)\times(4-3)\times(4-4)! = 24## and remember ##(4-4)! = 1##

Last edited:
MathJakob said:
Nope. ##4!=\frac{5!}{5}=\frac{120}{5}=24## This is not a formula it's a generalisation.

The actual formula is:

##n!=n\times(n-1)\times(n-2)\times(n-3)\times...(n-n)!##

##4!=4\times(4-1)\times(4-2)\times(4-3)\times(4-4)! = 24## and remember ##(4-4)! = 1##

Right, it's just that using that actual formula I don't see how 0! = 1, but I see how it makes sense intuitively

CuriousBanker said:
Right, it's just that using that actual formula I don't see how 0! = 1, but I see how it makes sense intuitively

Remember we have established that there is ##1## way to arrange ##0## objects. So ##0!## really just means ##1## and if that is true then ##0!=1\times(1-1)!=1##

Got it, so it's just a definition. Makes sense, thanks!

Yes, just a definition. But somewhat more general than you might expect.

If you add up a list of numbers with no entries, the sum is taken as zero. Zero is the additive identity. This is sometimes called an "empty sum".

If you multiply a list of numbers with no entries, the product is taken as one. One is the multiplicative identity. This can be called an "empty product".

A list that starts at entry number 1 and ends at entry number 0 is empty. That is a convention that is adhered to in programming languages such as Ada.

So the list of all the numbers from 1 on up to 0 is empty. If you multiply all the entries in that list together you get an empty product. An empty product is equal to 1.

Related to Question about permutations when n = k

1. What is the formula for calculating permutations when n = k?

The formula for calculating permutations when n = k is n! / (n-k)!, where n represents the total number of objects and k represents the number of objects being selected.

2. What is the difference between combinations and permutations when n = k?

The main difference between combinations and permutations when n = k is that permutations take into account the order of the selected objects, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations consider the arrangement of the objects, while combinations only consider the selection of objects.

3. How many permutations are there when n = k?

When n = k, there are k! permutations. This is because there are k ways to choose the first object, k-1 ways to choose the second object, and so on until there is only 1 way to choose the kth object.

4. What is the significance of permutations when n = k?

Permutations when n = k are useful for determining the number of possible outcomes when ordering or arranging a set of objects. This can be applied in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

5. Can you give an example of permutations when n = k?

Sure, let's say we have a set of 4 letters: A, B, C, and D. If we want to find the number of ways we can arrange these letters in groups of 3, we can use the formula n! / (n-k)! = 4! / (4-3)! = 4! / 1! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24. This means there are 24 possible permutations for this scenario.