Question about problem statement (marginal distribution)

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the conversation is about the use of a corollary to find the marginal distributions of two independent random variables, $X$ and $Y$. The problem statement involves finding the marginal distributions of $U=X+Y$ and $V=X+Y$. The person asking for help is unsure if the corollary is applicable in this context and is seeking clarification. They also mention that the marginal distributions of $X$ and $Y$ should just be $X$ and $Y$ themselves because they are independent. The other person suggests using the corollary to find the distributions of $U$ and $V$ and applying the marginal distribution concept. They also mention that they could be wrong and wish the person good luck
kalish1
I am doing some problems from a practice final and would like to know if the following problem has mistakes in the way it is written. We are supposed to apply a corollary that doesn't seem to have any relevance in this context. It is throwing me off.

**Problem statement:** Suppose that $X$ ~ $N(\mu,\sigma^2)$ and $Y$ ~ $N(\mu,\sigma^2)$ and they are independent. Let $U=X+Y$ and $V=X+Y$. Use the following corollary to find the marginal distributions of $X$ and $Y$.

**Corollary:** Let $X_1, \ldots, X_n$ be mutually independent random variables with $X_i$ ~ $n(\mu_i, \sigma_i^2)$. Let $a_1, \ldots, a_n$ and $b_1, \ldots, b_n$ be fixed constants Then

$Z=\sum_{i=1}^n(a_iX_i + b_i)$ ~ $n(\sum_{i=1}^n(a_i\mu_i + b_i),\sum_{i=1}^na_i^2\sigma_i^2)$.

Also, aren't the marginal distributions of $X$ and $Y$ just $X$ and $Y$ themselves, because they are independent of each other??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My final is tomorrow and I'm studying as hard as I can.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that \(\displaystyle V= X - Y\) and that you should find the find the marginal distributions of U and [FONT=MathJax_Math]V[/FONT].

You should use the Corollary to find their distribution, then try and apply the marginal distribution stuff.

But I could be wrong, good luck!

Last edited:

FAQ: Question about problem statement (marginal distribution)

1. What is a problem statement in terms of marginal distribution?

A problem statement in terms of marginal distribution is a clear and concise description of the research problem or question that a scientist is trying to address. It outlines the specific variables and their relationships that will be studied in order to better understand the marginal distribution of a particular dataset.

2. Why is it important to define a problem statement in marginal distribution?

Defining a problem statement is important because it helps to focus and guide the research process. It clarifies the specific question or issue that is being investigated, and provides a framework for developing hypotheses and designing experiments to address the problem.

3. How can a problem statement be formulated in terms of marginal distribution?

A problem statement in terms of marginal distribution can be formulated by identifying the key variables and their relationships, and clearly stating the research question or hypothesis that will be investigated. This may involve defining the population being studied, the sample size, and the methods for collecting and analyzing data.

4. Can a problem statement change during the research process?

Yes, a problem statement can change during the research process. As new data is collected and analyzed, the scientist may gain a better understanding of the problem and need to refine or adjust the problem statement accordingly. It is important to regularly revisit and update the problem statement to ensure that the research is on track and addressing the most relevant issues.

5. How does a well-formulated problem statement contribute to the overall research process?

A well-formulated problem statement is crucial to the overall research process as it serves as a roadmap for the study. It helps to define the scope and boundaries of the research, provides a clear focus and direction, and guides the selection of appropriate methods and analyses. A strong problem statement also enhances the credibility and validity of the research findings.

Back