Question about radioactive sources

In summary, the activity of closed radioactive sources is related to the mass or number of atoms present and the decay constant. Detection efficiency for beta and gamma radiation will depend on geometry, distance, and attenuation factors. It is best to place the source material inside the detector for accurate beta counting, but instructions should be followed for proper measurement of both beta and gamma activity. For Cs137 with a decay rate of 2109 bq, there would be 2109 beta and gamma decays per second.
THEMuffinMan7
Hi there,

I have a few closed radioactive sources (Cs137, Pb210, Na22) that I am trying to use for a project but I am not that knowledgeable about them.

Their activity is shown on the source but I'm unsure if this is related to the amount ie grams of substance inside the sealed container, or if it relates to how much radiation is actually being emitted from the sealed container. ie. internal absorbtion is accounted for. For beta radiation in particular I would think that a large portion would be re-absorbed by the plastic mold it is kept in.

I am trying to find the beta efficiency and gamma efficiency of some geiger tubes and am wondering if it is even possible with what I have??

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The activity is related to the mass or number of atoms present, and the decay constant (half-life), and date from which the source was produced. Since the sources were produced, the activity will decrease in time.

Detection efficiency will include geometry and distance factors.

The beta and gamma radiation is emitted in all directions, so only some of the radiation will reach the detector (solid angle subtended by the detection chamber), and only some (most) will interact with the detector. Beta particles will be much more attenuated than gamma rays.

Ostensibly, one is using these sources at an institution licensed to possesses these sources.

Thanks for your reply,

So since it is solely based on the number of atoms present, it may not be adequate for my needs. The problem is, beta particles can only travel a few mm in most materials, (correct me if I'm wrong) therefore much of the emitted beta particles will not exit the closed source. Basically I have no way of knowing how many beta particles are leaving the disk source. I am trying to find (somewhat accurately) the sensitivity of these geiger tubes to beta particles. Is there another way to do this? Or is there a way to discover the actual amount of beta particles being emitted?

Also yes, I have borrowed these sources from my universities physics department. I am in engineering. Most of them are exempt, one beta source is around 4 micro curie.

Beta detection depends on the source and detector and what lies in between.

One is correct that betas will interact with atoms between the source and detector, so detection efficiency will be a function of beta energy as well as other factors.

For each nuclide, the information given is usually the most probable energy, which is roughly one-third of the maximum energy.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/beta.html#c5

One is using sealed source, and usually, the best way to count beta activity would be to place the source material inside the detector (2π, or hemsiphere). That may not be practical however. Otherwise, one must bring the window of the Geiger counter close to the beta source.

Does one have instructions on counting beta and gamma activity. Typically one would measure both, then place a shield between the source and detector to exclude betas and measure mostly gamma.

Thank you, I think I managed to collect the data necessary. I will report on my findings in a bit Quick question though.

Suppose you have Cs137 which decays at a rate of 2109 bq. Is it correct to say that from that you have 2109 Beta decays per second from the Cs137 and also 2109 gamma decays per second from the secondary decay?

Thanks!

Related to Question about radioactive sources

1. What is a radioactive source?

A radioactive source is a substance that emits ionizing radiation, which can be in the form of alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays. These emissions occur due to the unstable nature of the atoms in the source, which are constantly trying to reach a more stable state.

2. What are some common radioactive sources used in scientific research?

Some common radioactive sources used in scientific research include uranium, radium, polonium, and cobalt-60. These sources are often used in medical imaging, nuclear power generation, and industrial processes.

3. How are radioactive sources handled safely?

Radioactive sources are handled safely by following strict protocols and regulations set by government agencies. This includes using protective equipment, storing the sources in lead-lined containers, and disposing of them properly. Regular monitoring and maintenance of facilities and equipment also help ensure safe handling of radioactive sources.

4. How are radioactive sources used to date objects?

Radioactive sources can be used to date objects through a process called radiometric dating. This involves measuring the amount of radioactive material present in a sample and comparing it to the known rate of decay of that material. By doing so, scientists can determine the age of the object.

5. What are the potential dangers of exposure to radioactive sources?

The potential dangers of exposure to radioactive sources include radiation sickness, DNA damage, and an increased risk of cancer. However, the level of danger depends on the type and amount of radiation, as well as the duration of exposure. That's why strict safety measures are in place to prevent unnecessary exposure to radioactive sources.