Question about rational expressions and their domains

In summary, the domain of a rational expression is the set of real numbers for which the expression is defined, excluding any numbers that make the denominator zero. In the example provided, the expression x^2 + 6x + 5/x^2-25 is simplified to x+1/x-5, but the equality only holds for values of x that are not equal to 5 or -5. This is because setting x=-5 in the original equation would result in division by zero, making it undefined. This concept is known as a missing solution and occurs when dividing by variables that could potentially make the expression undefined.
Light Bearer
Hi there. I am currently taking "College Math 1" at the local CC and I have encountered something that confuses me regarding rational expressions and their domains. The definition given by the textbook for rational expressions is:

"the set of real numbers for which an algebraic expression is defined is the domain of the expression. Because rational expressions indicate division and division by zero is undefined, we must exclude numbers from a rational expressions domain that make the denominator zero."

What I gather from that is that I am looking for any numbers that make the denominator zero? Say I have a simple rational expression such as x2 + 6x + 5/x2-25 and I am trying to simplify it. After factoring I get x2 + 6x/x2-25 --> (x+1)(x+5)/(x+5)(x-5) --> x+1/x-5, x != -5, x != 5. Using the definition from the textbook for rational expressions, I see how x=5 would be 5-5=0 which makes the expression undefined. My question is basically where does x != -5 come from? I only see why x != 5 because then the denominator would be zero.

Any answers are appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You seem to think that

[tex]\frac{(x+1)(x+5)}{(x-5)(x+5)} = \frac{x+1}{x-5}[/tex]

This is a common mistake. But it is not true. Why not? If we set ##-5## in the left-hand side then it is not defined (because of division by 0). If we set ##-5## in the right-hand side, then we got something that is perfectly well-defined.

What is true is that the above equality holds for all values ##x## for which both sides are defined. So for all ##x## which are not ##\pm 5##, the equality holds. But in general, it does not hold.

It's called a missing solution. You can read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraneous_and_missing_solutions. Do you see that when you divide by x+5 there is the possibility that you are dividing by zero when x = -5? Since x^2-25 is a second degree equation you know there are two solutions or possible zeros that make the original equation undefined(5 and -5). Since -5 is not a solution to the second equation they are technically not equal.

FAQ: Question about rational expressions and their domains

1. What are rational expressions?

Rational expressions are fractions in which the numerator and denominator are polynomials. They can also be written in the form of (p/q), where p and q are polynomials and q is not equal to 0.

2. What is the domain of a rational expression?

The domain of a rational expression is the set of all values that the variable(s) can take without causing the expression to be undefined. In other words, it is the set of all possible values for which the expression is defined.

3. How do I find the domain of a rational expression?

To find the domain of a rational expression, you need to determine the values that make the denominator equal to 0. These values are not allowed in the domain, so the domain is all other values of the variable(s).

4. Can the domain of a rational expression be negative?

Yes, the domain of a rational expression can include negative values. As long as the variable(s) do not cause the denominator to be equal to 0, they are valid for the domain.

5. Are there any restrictions on the domain of a rational expression?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the domain of a rational expression. The most common restriction is that the variable(s) cannot make the expression undefined, which means that they cannot make the denominator equal to 0. Additionally, there may be other restrictions based on the context of the problem or the given values.