Question about right hand rule for physics

In summary: Assuming some directions for currents and applying the hand rules works, no doubt. However I think that for the given problem you were supposed to use the general knowledge that two parallel wires that carry currents in opposite direction repel each other (and attract each other when the currents are in the same direction). Of course, this rule comes from applying the hand rules but once you do it once, you can just make use of...well, that's where general knowledge comes in.
Thundagere
Question about "right hand rule" for physics

My school doesn't offer physics for freshmen right now, so I'm self studying it. Regarding the right hand rule for vectors, I'm slightly confused. I did excellent using it in mechanics, it was relatively simple, but I was at a loss as to how to use it for electricity and magnetism. For instance, consider this problem:

#9 THIS PAGE

I can't understand how to find the direction of electric and magnetic fields. They give an explanation, but again, I can't understand it. Can anyone simplify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org

During high school I learned an easier way to use the hand rules. First let your fingers represent the magnetic field and have your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field (north to south). Then let your thumb point in the direction the charged particle is travelling. Your palm will then represent the direction of the force applied to the charged particle by the magnetic field. Use your right hand for positive particles and your left hand for negatively charged particles. As long as you know the direction of 2 of the variables you will always be able to turn your hand to find the direction of the 3rd.

Dragynfyre said:
During high school I learned an easier way to use the hand rules. First let your fingers represent the magnetic field and have your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field (north to south). Then let your thumb point in the direction the charged particle is travelling. Your palm will then represent the direction of the force applied to the charged particle by the magnetic field. Use your right hand for positive particles and your left hand for negatively charged particles. As long as you know the direction of 2 of the variables you will always be able to turn your hand to find the direction of the 3rd.

Now that works! :)
But what about wires? A lot of the practice problems I'm doing involve wires carrying current, and sometimes I'm just given a magnetic field, only being told the magnitude of the force. What if I don't know the forces direction or the field's direction, how would I solve that?

Do you know the direction of current? Also can you give an example?

I guess the main one is on the Sparknotes page I gave, number 9. It's where I get most of my practice problems, but that one was annoying.

Ahh for that question you need to find the magnetic field created by each wire. A wire with a current creates a magnetic field that wraps in circles around the wire. To find the direction of the magnetic field stick out your thumb and make a fist. Your thumb points in the direction of current flow and your fingers represent the circular magnetic field. Again use your right hand for positive charges and your left for negative charges.

Picture
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/imgmag/magcur.gif

Ah...but how would you find the direction of the force? THe magnetic field is circular, what about the forces exerted on one another?

Take a look at this picture. The direction of the field at the location of the second wire has a single, definite direction.

Attachments

• magfield.gif
    magfield.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 380

I saw that, but how do you directly find the direction of that force?

Use the hand rule I explained in my first post. Fingers in the direction of the magnetic field and choose the direction of the charge (current in this case) as the opposite direction to the current in the wire creating the magnetic field (so downwards in this case) and point downwards with your thumb. Your palm will represent the force. Make sure to use the proper hand which in this case looks to be your right hand since the hand in the diagram is of a right hand.

Dragynfyre said:
Use the hand rule I explained in my first post. Fingers in the direction of the magnetic field and choose the direction of the charge (current in this case) as the opposite direction to the current in the wire creating the magnetic field and point to the direction of the current with your thumb. Your palm will represent the force. Make sure to use the proper hand which in this case looks to be your right hand since the hand in the diagram is of a right hand.

DANG! I just tried it...thanks! Now it makes sense!

Assuming some directions for currents and applying the hand rules works, no doubt. However I think that for the given problem you were supposed to use the general knowledge that two parallel wires that carry currents in opposite direction repel each other (and attract each other when the currents are in the same direction). Of course, this rule comes from applying the hand rules but once you do it once, you can just make use of it.

Related to Question about right hand rule for physics

1. What is the right hand rule in physics?

The right hand rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of a magnetic field or the direction of a force on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field. It is based on the principle that the direction of the magnetic field or force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current or velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field lines.

2. How do you use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, simply point your right thumb in the direction of the current or velocity vector and curl your fingers around it. The direction in which your fingers curl is the direction of the magnetic field or force.

3. Can the right hand rule be used for both magnetic fields and forces?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for both magnetic fields and forces as they are closely related. For magnetic fields, the direction of the field is determined by the direction of the current and the direction of the force on a moving charged particle is determined by the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is the difference between the right hand rule and the left hand rule?

The right hand rule is used for determining the direction of magnetic fields and forces, while the left hand rule is used for determining the direction of electric fields and forces. In the right hand rule, the thumb represents the current or velocity vector, while in the left hand rule, the index finger represents the electric field vector.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule depending on the specific application in physics. For example, in the motor rule, the fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field and the thumb represents the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. In the generator rule, the fingers represent the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field and the thumb represents the direction of the induced current.