Question about rigol DG1022 function generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a faint high pitched sound emitted by a newly bought rigol DG1022 function generator when the voltage is turned higher than 2V peak to peak. The sound is barely audible and does not vary with the output frequency. The possibility of it being normal for a digital function generator or indicating a problem is raised. It is suggested that it could be the hysteresis in the transformer of the switching power supply, which is often run at high frequencies. As long as nothing is overheating and the output waveforms are correct, there is no need to worry.
JerryG
I just bought a new rigol DG1022 function generator and I noticed that when I turn the voltage higher than 2V peak to peak, the FG emits a faint high pitched sound. It's barely audible; maybe around 15 kHz. Is that normal for a digital function generator, or does that mean that something is wrong with it? Oh, and the pitch of the sound does not vary with the output frequency.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe just hearing hysteresis in the transformer of the switching power supply? Those are often run at high frequencies. If nothing is getting too hot and the output waveforms are still correct at the rated load, I wouldn't worry about it.

Related to Question about rigol DG1022 function generator

1. What is the frequency range of the Rigol DG1022 function generator?

The frequency range of the Rigol DG1022 function generator is 1 μHz to 25 MHz.

2. Can the amplitude of the output signal be adjusted?

Yes, the amplitude of the output signal can be adjusted from 1 mVpp to 10 Vpp.

3. What types of waveforms can the Rigol DG1022 generate?

The Rigol DG1022 function generator can generate sine, square, ramp, pulse, noise, and arbitrary waveforms.

4. Is it possible to synchronize multiple DG1022 function generators?

Yes, the DG1022 function generator has a built-in synchronization port that allows multiple units to be synchronized together.

5. Can the Rigol DG1022 be controlled remotely?

Yes, the DG1022 function generator has a USB and LAN interface that allows for remote control and programming.