Question about sig figs in buffer problem

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation of a .1M acetate buffer with a pH of 5.22. The equation used is pH = pK + log(base/acid), and the pK of acetate is given as 4.70. The result of the calculation is 3 = (acetate/acetic acid) = 3.3/1, showing that 3 moles of acetate are required for every mole of acetic acid. However, there is confusion about why the .3 was ignored and if it is appropriate to round down in this situation. The concept of significant figures is also discussed, with the reminder that they are not always accurate measures of precision.
vande060

Homework Statement

prepare 1L of a .1M acetate buffer with a pH of 5.22

Homework Equations

pK of acetate is 4.70

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what my professor did:

ph = pK + log(base/acid)

5.22 = 4.70 + log(base/acid)

antilog(.52) = (base/acid)

3 = (acetate/acetic acid) = 3.3/1

you therefore require 3 moles of acetate for every mole of acetic acid.
--------------------

I don't understand why the .3 was just ignored, it dosen't seem like she should have rounded down...any suggestions? I understand that eventually we will have to use .1M, which will reduce the sig figs to one, but that is not until the next step, and I thought you were not supposed to drop figures early.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand it either, especially if the question asks for pH 5.22 - that's quite specific (and difficult to prepare in the standard lab, 5.2 looks more reasonable; most pH meters are not able to reliably measure last digit, so you won't be even able to test it). I would go for 3.3.

Please note - sig figs are a faulty concept, something like "poor mans accuracy". Don't treat them too seriously, accuracy should be evaluated and reported using statistical methods. In the case of solution preparation they can be used as a rule of thumb, but even then you should be vigilant. If 1 means anything between 0.5 and 1.5, and 9 means anything between 8.5 and 9.5, the same one significant digit means about 50% error in the first case and about 5% error in the second case - so something is obviously wrong.

Related to Question about sig figs in buffer problem

What are significant figures and why are they important in buffer problems?

Significant figures are digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. In buffer problems, significant figures are important because they reflect the precision of the measurements and help maintain the correct number of decimal places in calculations.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The first rule is that all non-zero digits are significant. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, but zeros between non-zero digits are significant. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant, but trailing zeros before a decimal point may or may not be significant depending on the context of the problem.

What is the rule for rounding when dealing with significant figures in buffer problems?

When adding or subtracting numbers, the final answer should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places. When multiplying or dividing numbers, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures.

Can I ignore significant figures in buffer problems?

No, significant figures are important and cannot be ignored in buffer problems. Ignoring significant figures can lead to incorrect calculations and ultimately affect the accuracy of the results.

How do I use significant figures to determine the pH of a buffer solution?

To determine the pH of a buffer solution using significant figures, you must first calculate the molarity of the acid and base components. Then, use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation which takes into account the significant figures of the molarity values to calculate the pH of the buffer solution.