Question about sound absorption/reflection

• Thread starter ft92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: The beam from the loudspeaker will be diverging and the power will be attenuated.In summary, the experiment found that absorption decreases with distance between the sound source and the material it is trying to absorb sound waves.
ft92
Hello everyone! I would like to share with you the results of an experiment we did in the first year physics lab and ask for your point of view to understand why we got the results that I'm about to tell you. The experiment was nothing too fancy, we were trying to test how well materials absorbed and reflect sound by measuring the intensity first with no medium between the speaker and the microphone and then with different material in between like foam carpet wood ecc.. Now i don't understand why when the sound source was very tightly close with the material we registered a smaller drop in intensity than we did when a little gap between source, material was left, sometimes it got even magnified a little! Instinctively I would say that the sound intensity should drop proportionally to the distance, but maybe the little gap allowed for some reflections to bounce back and forth, hence more sound wave made it through the material. I post the picture of the set up case1/case2 to help you understand what we did.( I tried to add photos but it doesn't work :()

Science news on Phys.org
I can't find any picture on your post but I suggest that the reason for the variation in results will be due to reflections between soundproofing and the loudspeaker source and the spacing. You have an example of a transmission line and the Impedance of the 'load', seen by the loudspeaker, will change as the distance along the transmission line changes. A standing wave is being formed. This will allow different amounts of sound power to pass into the material as the distance cnanges. Your suggestion about echos in the system is on the right lines and you need to reduce / eliminate the effect.
ft92 said:
I would say that the sound intensity should drop proportionally to the distance,
You would expect that the variations due to the standing wave to be present 'on top of' a general trend towards a lower level as the distance increases.
If you use microphones on both sides of the material, you will most likely find that the ratio of sound levels measured will be the same but that they vary in absolute terms as the position changes.
I don't know what actual set up you used but, if the measurements were done in an open lab then all the above would be worse. If your arrangement was inside a sealed tube with sound damping in the walls, you would expect more regular results.

Likes ft92
I am careful about measurements of absorption when the wavelength of the sound is large compared to the size of the absorbing sheet. In such a case we do not have "optical" conditions. In optical conditions we have two free space paths with an attenuator in between them, a simple situation. When the path is very short, there are two effects possible,
1) The beam from the loudspeaker is not yet diverging but is parallel, because the absorber is in the radiation near field, closer then the Rayleigh distance D^2/(2*lambda).
2) The absorber is so close it is in the reactive near field of the speaker, so it receives additional excitation.

Related to Question about sound absorption/reflection

1. How does sound absorption work?

Sound absorption works by reducing the amount of sound that is reflected off of surfaces. When sound waves hit an absorbent material, they are converted into heat energy instead of being reflected back into the environment.

2. What materials are good at absorbing sound?

Materials that are soft, porous, and thick are good at absorbing sound. Examples include foam, carpets, curtains, and acoustic panels. The more dense and thick the material is, the better it will be at absorbing sound.

3. Can sound reflection be harmful?

Yes, sound reflection can be harmful in certain situations. For example, excessive sound reflection in a small enclosed space can cause sound to bounce around and become distorted, leading to ear fatigue and potential hearing damage. This is why proper sound absorption is important in places like recording studios and concert halls.

4. How can I measure sound absorption?

Sound absorption is measured using a unit called the Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC). It is a decimal number ranging from 0 to 1, with 0 representing complete sound reflection and 1 representing complete sound absorption. This measurement can be obtained through specialized acoustic testing or by using a sound absorption coefficient chart for common materials.

5. Can sound absorption be improved?

Yes, sound absorption can be improved by using a combination of different materials and techniques. For example, using a combination of absorbent materials and diffusers can help to evenly distribute sound and reduce echoes. Additionally, adjusting the placement and thickness of sound-absorbing materials can also improve their effectiveness.