Question about surface integrals on E&M

In summary, Gauss's law is usually stated as a surface integral, not a line integral. The choice of gaussian surface is not arbitrary and is based on the symmetries present in the problem. By using a cleverly chosen surface, the electric field can be taken out of the integral and simplified.
Juan Pablo
I've seen on most books and in class that Gauss's law is usually stated like

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{q_{en}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
Shouldn't the integral be a surface integral rather than a line integral? I've seen times in problem resolution where they evaluate the integral as a normal integral rather than a surface one, is there a formal justification for this?

I have another kinda unrelated question. When you choose a Gaussian surface to calculate an electric field, is it chosen arbitrarily? I mean every surface with the desirable properties will do?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
if you choose an arbitrary surface its arbitrary. and yes, an infinite amount of surfaces will have the same flux. and that also is a surface integral. I believe that symbol denotes only that the integral's bounds end and begin at the same point. the dA tells you that its a surface integral.

That is a surface integral because of the dA (element of surface area, sometimes written dS). The circle on the integral symbol indicates integrating over a closed surface that encloses the charge.

You can choose any enclosing surface that you are able to work out. Usually there is only one such surface that is easy to work out - where the E is known and is perpendicular to the surface everywhere.

Juan Pablo said:
I've seen on most books and in class that Gauss's law is usually stated like

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{q_{en}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Shouldn't the integral be a surface integral rather than a line integral?
I'm guessing that the area-as-a-vector thing is throwing you off. Your textbook probably explains how that works, but basically, for a small piece of a surface, [tex]d\vec{A}[/tex] has a magnitude equal to the area of the piece and a direction perpendicular to the surface.
I've seen times in problem resolution where they evaluate the integral as a normal integral rather than a surface one, is there a formal justification for this?
What usually happens is the dot product is being evaluated so that the integral becomes

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \oint |\vec{E}||d\vec{A}|\cos\theta = \oint {E\cos\theta} dA[/tex]

where [tex]E=|\vec{E}|[/tex] and [tex]dA=|d\vec{A}|[/tex], and with a clever choice of the gaussian surface, you end up with something like

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = E \oint dA[/tex]

When you take the surface integral, you're now just summing the area of all these little pieces of the surface, and the result is just the total area of the gaussian surface.

Is this what you were asking about?

That's pretty much what I was asking. Thanks a lot!. But isn't [tex] \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} [/tex] an abuse of notation for the flux?

How so?

Apparently I misremembered. Another question, doesn't the electric field varies with distance? How is it possible to take it outside the integral?

Juan Pablo said:
Apparently I misremembered. Another question, doesn't the electric field varies with distance? How is it possible to take it outside the integral?
That's where the choice of the gaussian surface comes into play. You take advantage of the symmetries in a problem to make the calculation easier. For example, if you have a spherically symmetric charge distribution, E will be directed radially, and its magnitude will depend only on r, so if you use a sphere as your surface, the magnitude of E will be constant and [itex]\theta[/itex] will be zero, so you can pull E out of the integral.

Related to Question about surface integrals on E&M

1. What is a surface integral in the context of E&M?

A surface integral in E&M refers to the calculation of the flux of a vector field through a surface. This is important in understanding the flow of electric and magnetic fields through various surfaces, such as closed boundaries or open surfaces.

2. How is a surface integral used in E&M?

In E&M, surface integrals are used to calculate various quantities, such as electric and magnetic flux, electric and magnetic field strength, and energy. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different materials and geometries.

3. What is the difference between a closed and open surface integral in E&M?

A closed surface integral is used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed boundary, such as a closed surface or a loop. On the other hand, an open surface integral is used to calculate the flux through an open surface, where the vector field may not be completely contained within the surface.

4. Can surface integrals be applied to other fields besides electricity and magnetism?

Yes, surface integrals can be used in other fields, such as fluid mechanics, to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface. However, in the context of E&M, surface integrals specifically refer to the calculation of electric and magnetic fields through surfaces.

5. How do I solve a surface integral in E&M?

To solve a surface integral in E&M, you first need to determine the vector field and the surface you are integrating over. Then, you can use various techniques, such as the divergence theorem or Stokes' theorem, to simplify the integral and solve for the desired quantity. It is important to carefully consider the orientation of the surface and the direction of the vector field to ensure an accurate calculation.