Question about the "E" Lie algebras

• MHB
  • Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lie algebras
Expert SummarizerIn summary, E_6 is defined by its Dynkin diagram, which represents its root system. However, it can also be defined algebraically by its structure constants and commutation relations. The two definitions are equivalent and can be found in different forms in Lie algebra texts. It is recommended to understand both the Dynkin diagram and the algebraic definition for a comprehensive understanding of E_6.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I'm in chapter 2 of my Lie algebra text. I have an interest in E_8 but I'm only going to work my way up to E_6 as it has fewer operators. Anyway for now I only have a quick question: Is E_6 defined by its Dynkin diagram or is E_6 defined by something else and the Dynkin diagram follows from that? I haven't been able to find a definition of what E_6 is in my text yet.

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your question. E_6 is indeed defined by its Dynkin diagram, which is a visual representation of the root system of the Lie algebra. In fact, all simple Lie algebras are classified by their Dynkin diagrams. However, the Dynkin diagram is not the only way to define E_6. It can also be defined algebraically, by specifying the structure constants and commutation relations of its generators.

In your text, E_6 may be introduced in different ways depending on the author's approach. Some texts may start with the Dynkin diagram, while others may start with the algebraic definition. Either way, the two definitions are equivalent and can be used interchangeably.

I would suggest looking for an algebraic definition of E_6 in your text, which will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the algebra. However, it is also important to understand the significance of the Dynkin diagram and how it relates to the algebraic definition.

I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck with your studies in Lie algebras.

Related to Question about the "E" Lie algebras

1. What are "E" Lie algebras?

"E" Lie algebras are a class of Lie algebras that were first introduced by mathematician Wilhelm Killing in the late 1800s. They are a generalization of the classical simple Lie algebras and are named after the exceptional simple Lie algebras E6, E7, and E8.

2. What makes "E" Lie algebras unique?

"E" Lie algebras are unique because they have special properties that distinguish them from other classes of Lie algebras. These include having a finite-dimensional representation, a Cartan subalgebra of maximal rank, and a non-degenerate invariant bilinear form.

3. What are some applications of "E" Lie algebras?

"E" Lie algebras have various applications in mathematics and physics. They have been used in the study of differential equations, algebraic geometry, and quantum field theory. They also play a significant role in the classification of finite simple groups.

4. How are "E" Lie algebras related to other mathematical structures?

"E" Lie algebras are closely related to other mathematical structures such as Lie groups, algebraic groups, and root systems. They have also been studied in connection with other areas of mathematics, such as representation theory, combinatorics, and topology.

5. Are there any open problems or conjectures related to "E" Lie algebras?

Yes, there are several open problems and conjectures related to "E" Lie algebras. One of the most well-known is the Classification Theorem, which states that there are only five exceptional simple Lie algebras: E6, E7, E8, F4, and G2. Another open problem is the determination of the center of "E" Lie algebras, which has been partially solved for some cases but remains unsolved in general.