Question about the effect of acceleration on the force of a mass

In summary, the question involves calculating the extra force on a beam due to a mass of 500 kg subjected to a vibration of 2m/s2. The solution may be as simple as calculating the force of the mass while stationary and adding it to the force due to acceleration, but may be more complicated depending on the rigidity and compressibility of the system. The maximum force can be determined by measuring the maximum acceleration at the object and using F=m*a. Whether the acceleration is relative to free fall or rest may also affect the calculation.
diggedy
Ive got a query which I am thinking should be simple but I can't for the life of me think how to solve it.

I have a mass of 500 kg resting on a beam. It is subjected to vibration of 2m/s2 directly down, how would I calculate the extra force subjected on the beam due to this acceleration?

Is it as simple as working out the force of the mass while stationary then working out the force applied due to acceleration (m*a) and then adding them together?

Physics news on Phys.org
A constant acceleration is not a vibration. For the momentary force: if all parts of the system are completely rigid and incompressible, then it is as simple as you described. Otherwise it gets more complicated.

Cheers for the reply. I've probably been a bit vague in the question so ill give a bit more info.

Its a mass on a fabricated bracket attached a moving piece of machinery. I am treating it as a simple steel beam to avoid over complicating it. As the machine moves along the ground, imperfections in the surface cause the mass to bounce. 2m/s2 is the peak acceleration so I was just taking this as a worst case scenario. All I am wanting to do is determine the maximum force this mass exerts on the beam so I can use it for FEA analysis on the beam and use it to design a new bracket as the current one is failing.

If you measured the acceleration directly at the object, the corresponding force is just F=m*a.

Thanks, I guess I am just over thinking it :)

diggedy said:
It is subjected to vibration of 2m/s2 directly down,
Is this acceleration relative to free fall or relative to rest?
diggedy said:
All I am wanting to do is determine the maximum force this mass exerts on the beam
If the mass sits on the the beam, you should look for the maximal upwards acceleration.

The accelerometer i had access to didnt give me both direction, only the maximum vibration along that axis. I am getting access to some better equipment next week which may give me better info. I was treating the peak as the maximum either way and its relative to rest

FAQ: Question about the effect of acceleration on the force of a mass

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How does acceleration affect the force of a mass?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). This means that as acceleration increases, force also increases.

What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

The relationship between acceleration and force is direct and proportional. This means that as one increases, the other also increases in the same direction.

Can acceleration have a negative effect on the force of a mass?

Yes, acceleration can have a negative effect on the force of a mass. This can happen if the direction of acceleration is opposite to the direction of the force, resulting in a decrease in force.

How does the mass of an object affect the acceleration and force?

The mass of an object has an inverse relationship with acceleration and a direct relationship with force. This means that as mass increases, acceleration decreases and force increases.