Question about the states of matter

In summary: A suspension of oil droplets in water. Or of water droplets in oil. Kashishi's point seems good. The distinction between a solid and a liquid is not always sharp, especially in composite materials.
Sundown444
I have a question, and it is this: why is it that your hand can go through a gas or liquid while the same can't be done with solids? Is it because of density?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, it has to do with density. Do you know the difference between how atoms are arranged in the different states of matter?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Indeed, it has to do with density. Do you know the difference between how atoms are arranged in the different states of matter?

Kind of. I believe I do in a way.

See the image http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/SeeK/slg.html ?

The atoms are closely packed together in the solid, but they become increasingly spread apart for the liquid and gas. There is more space between the atoms in the two latter states.

Last edited by a moderator:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
See the image http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/SeeK/slg.html ?

The atoms are closely packed together in the solid, but they become increasingly spread apart for the liquid and gas. There is more space between the atoms in the two latter states.

Yeah, I actually did know that, but thanks, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you knew that, what exactly were you asking? You could clarify and then I could help you better :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
So if you knew that, what exactly were you asking? You could clarify and then I could help you better :smile:

I just wasn't completely sure about it.

Okay, then. Now you're sure :)

The density of a substance has quite little to do with whether you can move your hand through it.

You can push your hand through liquid water more easily than you can push your hand through a cube of expanded polystyrene (styrofoam). What matters is not so much how dense the material is, but how firmly the component molecules are bound into a matrix.

jbriggs444 said:
The density of a substance has quite little to do with whether you can move your hand through it.

You can push your hand through liquid water more easily than you can push your hand through a cube of expanded polystyrene (styrofoam). What matters is not so much how dense the material is, but how firmly the component molecules are bound into a matrix.

You mean as in how tightly packed they are, right?

Sundown444 said:
You mean as in how tightly packed they are, right?
More like how inflexible the packing arrangement.

Likes olgerm
It's not just density. Water is denser than ice, you know. In a solid, all the molecules are bound together in an orderly formation, so you have to break many bonds to move your hand through. In a liquid, the molecules stick together but aren't in a tight formation. The molecules are all disorganized. So, when you push your hand through, the molecules can bend shift around relatively freely.

Khashishi said:
So, when you push your hand through, the molecules can bend shift around relatively freely.
In other words, the space between molecules can change.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
In other words, the space between molecules can change.
No. The arrangement of the molecules can change. The [average] space between them need not change.

jbriggs444 said:
No. The arrangement of the molecules can change. The [average] space between them need not change.
But it can. That's all I was saying.

I don't know if the difference between a liquid and solid is totally cut and dry. There's not a whole lot of difference between a very high viscosity liquid and and amorphous solid. Practically speaking, solids won't flow, but ductile metals can be pressed into shape with enough force.

Khashishi said:
I don't know if the difference between a liquid and solid is totally cut and dry. There's not a whole lot of difference between a very high viscosity liquid and and amorphous solid. Practically speaking, solids won't flow, but ductile metals can be pressed into shape with enough force.
That is something I often wonder. Like, is lotion a solid or liquid? A semi-liquid? A semi-solid?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
But it can. That's all I was saying.
In a liquid, the average space between molecules does not change. And yet liquids flow. In a solid, the average space between molecules does not change. But solids do not flow [much]. The average spacing between molecules can not be the determining feature. That is what I am trying to point out.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jbriggs444 said:
In a liquid, the average space between molecules does not change. And yet liquids flow. In a solid, the average space between molecules does not change. But solids does not flow [much]. The average spacing between molecules can not be the determining feature. That is what I am trying to point out.
Fair enough.

Now what about this: is lotion a solid or liquid? A semi-liquid? A semi-solid?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Now what about this: is lotion a solid or liquid? A semi-liquid? A semi-solid?
A suspension of oil droplets in water. Or of water droplets in oil. Kashishi's point seems good. The distinction between a solid and a liquid is not always sharp, especially in composite substances.

Related to Question about the states of matter

What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. In a solid, particles are tightly packed together and have a fixed shape and volume. In a liquid, particles are close together but can move around, taking the shape of their container. In a gas, particles are far apart and have no fixed shape or volume.

Can matter change from one state to another?

Yes, matter can change from one state to another through physical processes such as heating or cooling. This is known as a phase change. For example, when water is heated, it changes from a liquid to a gas (steam) and when it is cooled, it changes back to a liquid.

What is the fourth state of matter?

The fourth state of matter is plasma. Plasma is a highly ionized gas that is found in stars and lightning. It is also used in technologies such as plasma TVs and fluorescent lights.

How is the state of matter related to temperature and pressure?

The state of matter is related to temperature and pressure through the kinetic theory of matter. As temperature increases, the particles in a substance gain more energy and move faster, causing them to change states. Changes in pressure can also cause changes in the state of matter, as seen in the phase changes of carbon dioxide (solid to gas) and water (liquid to gas) in a pressure cooker.

Can matter exist in other states besides solid, liquid, gas, and plasma?

Yes, matter can exist in other states besides solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. These states include Bose-Einstein condensate and fermionic condensates, which occur at extremely low temperatures, and quark-gluon plasma, which is found in high energy environments such as particle colliders. However, these states are not commonly found in everyday life.