Question about this "Quantum laser pointer" that I bought

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a laser purchased from quantumlaserpointer.com and the observation of a refraction pattern when holding it at a distance from a surface. However, it was clarified that this is not a demonstration of quantum effects, but rather a classical interference of light waves, as observed by Thomas Young in 1805. There was also a debate about whether a laser can be considered a photon source, with the conclusion that it is not a single-photon source but rather a "coherent-state" source.
Benplace
TL;DR Summary
QuantumLaserPointer.com
I bought one of the lasers from quantumlaserpointer.com
If I remove the cap I can see the two thin slits cut in it.
If I hold the laser around 3ft from a surface it appears to show the refraction pattern.
Is this actually working like the dual slit experiment and the laser photons are going through both slits at the same time?
Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
No, no quantum effects here. You’re seeing classical light waves interfering with one another, the same purely classical phenomenon that Thomas Young observed around 1805 to show that light is waves of something (waves in the electromagnetic field it turns out, although that took another half-century).

I once had a debate at an exhibition during a physics conference with a guy from a school-physics experiment supplier who praised a laser as a "photon source", because I think that's a bit cheating, be cause a laser is not a single-photon source but a "coherent-state" source. If dimmed down to very low intensity it's mostly a "vacuum source", but still not a single-photon source. The result was that the guy gave me a T-shirt for free ;-)).

Related to Question about this "Quantum laser pointer" that I bought

1. What is a "Quantum laser pointer"?

A "Quantum laser pointer" is a type of laser pointer that uses quantum technology to produce a more focused and precise laser beam. It is often used in scientific and research settings.

2. How is a "Quantum laser pointer" different from a regular laser pointer?

A "Quantum laser pointer" uses quantum technology to produce a more focused and precise laser beam, while a regular laser pointer uses traditional technology. This makes the "Quantum laser pointer" more accurate and efficient.

3. What are the potential applications of a "Quantum laser pointer"?

The potential applications of a "Quantum laser pointer" include scientific research, precision measurements, and advanced optical technologies such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing.

4. How do I use a "Quantum laser pointer"?

To use a "Quantum laser pointer", simply turn it on and point it at the desired target. Be sure to follow all safety precautions and never point the laser at anyone's eyes.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a "Quantum laser pointer"?

Yes, there are safety concerns with using a "Quantum laser pointer". These lasers are typically more powerful than regular laser pointers and can cause eye damage if not used properly. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and never point the laser at anyone's eyes.