Question about Van De Graaf generator

• Thread starter Parad0x88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the "breakdown" electric field in air is about 3 X 106 V/m, indicating that a sphere with a radius of 1.00m can reach a maximum potential of 3 X 106 V. The problem states that a metallic sphere on top of a large van de Graaf generator has a radius of 2.0m and carries a charge of 3x10-5 C. To find the Volt, one can either multiply 3 X 106 V by 2 or use the equation V = Q/4∏rε0 to calculate the potential inside the generator. The line in the text serves as a warning to not approach the maximum potential in order to avoid breakdown and ar
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

I have a sentence in my textbook that reads:

Because the "breakdown" electric field in air is about 3 X 106 V/m, a sphere 1.00m in radius can be raised to a maximum potential of 3 X 106 V

And now the problem states: The metallic sphere on top of a large van de Graaf generator has a radius of 2.0 m. Suppose that the sphere carries a charge of 3x10-5 C

Homework Equations

V = Q/4∏rε0

The Attempt at a Solution

Does that mean to find the Volt, I have to simply multiply that 3 X 106 V by 2, to give me 6 X 106 V?

Or do I have to use the above equation to find the volt inside the generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not employ your Relevant Equation?

gneill said:
Why not employ your Relevant Equation?

I guess it's the line from the text that confused me as to whether that equation was even necessary or not

The line in the text is telling you what limits the maximum potential on a surface (before breakdown and arcing occur to drain off the charge). If your calculated potential approaches this value, stand well back from the apparatus!:eek:

I would like to clarify that the sentence in your textbook is referring to the maximum potential that can be achieved by a sphere with a radius of 1.00m. This is not the same as the potential achieved by a sphere with a radius of 2.0m. The maximum potential is dependent on the radius of the sphere and cannot simply be doubled.

To find the potential of the metallic sphere on top of the van de Graaf generator, we can use the formula V = Q/4πε0r, where V is the potential, Q is the charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radius of the sphere.

Substituting the given values, we get V = (3x10^-5 C)/(4π(8.85x10^-12 C^2/Nm^2)(2.0m)) = 8.5x10^7 V.

Therefore, the potential of the metallic sphere on top of the van de Graaf generator is 8.5x10^7 V. This is significantly lower than the maximum potential of 3x10^6 V for a sphere with a radius of 1.00m. This is because the potential achieved by a sphere is inversely proportional to its radius, as seen in the formula V = Q/4πε0r.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion about finding the potential in this problem. It is always important to carefully read and understand the given information in a problem before attempting to solve it.

FAQ: Question about Van De Graaf generator

What is a Van De Graaf generator?

A Van De Graaf generator is an electrostatic generator that uses a moving belt to accumulate and store static electricity on a large metal sphere. It is commonly used in physics demonstrations to produce high voltage and create dramatic sparks.

How does a Van De Graaf generator work?

A Van De Graaf generator works by using a motorized belt to transfer electrons from a grounded source to a large metal sphere at the top of the generator. This creates a difference in electrical potential and causes the sphere to accumulate a large amount of static electricity.

What is the purpose of a Van De Graaf generator?

A Van De Graaf generator is primarily used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating the principles of static electricity and high voltage. It can also be used in experiments and research in the fields of physics and electrical engineering.

Is a Van De Graaf generator dangerous?

While a Van De Graaf generator can produce high voltages, it is generally considered safe for use in educational and research settings. However, caution should always be taken when working with electricity and proper safety precautions should be followed.

Can a Van De Graaf generator produce enough electricity to power a home?

No, a Van De Graaf generator is not capable of producing enough electricity to power a home. It is designed for educational purposes and can only produce a small amount of electricity for short periods of time.

Back