Question about vectors and rectangles in R3

• Thread starter ericpei22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a review question involving finding the coordinates of a vertex and the angle between diagonals of a rectangle. The student attempts to use dot/cross product but eventually solves the problem by finding the missing coordinate of point D.
ericpei22
Hi all, I was doing some review questions for my vectors test tomorrow and I have no idea how to even start this one. I hope any of you can help me :biggrin:

Homework Statement

The rectangle ABCD has vertices at A(-1,2,3), B(2,6,-9) and D(3,q,8).
Note that the "q" in coordinate D is a variable

a. Determine the coordinates of the vertex C
This is the question I am stuck on, no idea how to start. This question is in the dot/cross product section of the textbook, so I'm assuming we have to use either one to solve this problem:confused:

b. Determine the angle between the two diagonals of this rectangle.
Need the vertex C to figure out the diagonals...

Homework Equations

if a= (a1, a2, a3), b= (b1, b2, b3),

a.b = a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3
a.b = |a|*|b|*cosσ, where σ is the angle between a and b

The Attempt at a Solution

I found coordinate D to be (3, 14, 8) and am trying to use the fact that in this case, a.b = 0 because it is a rectangle and every side is perpendicular.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Solved, I was just over-thinking it. Thanks anyways

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A comment on your use of the word "coordinate."

D is a point, not a coordinate ("I found coordinate D ... "). What you did was to find the missing coordinate of point D.

Related to Question about vectors and rectangles in R3

1. What is a vector in R3?

A vector in R3, also known as a 3-dimensional vector, is a geometric object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by a line segment with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. In R3, a vector has three components (x, y, z) and can be visualized as a point in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a vector represented in R3?

A vector in R3 is typically represented as a column matrix with three rows and one column, also known as a 3x1 matrix. The first row represents the x-component, the second row represents the y-component, and the third row represents the z-component. For example, the vector v = (1, 2, 3) would be represented as:

3. What is the difference between a vector and a point in R3?

In R3, a point is a specific location in three-dimensional space, while a vector represents both magnitude and direction. A vector can be thought of as the line connecting the origin (0, 0, 0) to a point in space, while a point is simply a coordinate in space. Points can also be represented as vectors by taking the difference between two points.

4. How are vectors and rectangles related in R3?

In R3, a rectangle can be represented as two vectors that share a common endpoint. These vectors are known as the rectangle's diagonals and are perpendicular to each other. The vectors can be used to find the area of the rectangle, as well as its other properties such as perimeter and angles.

5. Can vectors and rectangles be manipulated in R3?

Yes, vectors and rectangles can be manipulated in R3 using operations such as vector addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. These operations can change the magnitude and direction of a vector, as well as the size and orientation of a rectangle. Additionally, transformations such as rotations and translations can also be applied to vectors and rectangles in R3.