Question about venturimeter formula

• B
  • Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses two equations related to venturimeter and how to obtain the second equation. The first equation is used for horizontal flow and the second equation is used for vertical flow. The second equation can be derived by considering the flow rate continuity equation and the difference in height of the liquid in the vertical pipes. However, the teacher's explanation of cancelling out the ##\frac{1}{2} \rho v^2## term in the second equation is incorrect. The conversation also briefly mentions the horizontal venturimeter question, but then shifts focus to understanding the derivation of the second equation.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
Please see below
Untitled2.jpg

The level of this learning material is high - school level

From my note, there are two equations that can be used related to venturimeter:

1. ##P+\rho gh + \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 = \text{constant}##

2. ##P_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2##

I want to ask about second equation, how can we get that equation? My teacher said it is also from Bernoulli equation and we just cross out the ##\frac{1}{2} \rho v^2## part but I do not understand why. Don't the liquid have different velocity (##v_1## and ##v_2##) so why we can cross that part?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##h_1 = h_2##!

Likes songoku
The second equation is really the first equation in the case of horizontal flow.
The first equation gives $$P_1+\rho gh_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_1^2 = P_2+\rho gh_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_2^2$$. Then set ##h_1=h_2## as @etotheipi suggested.

Likes songoku, Delta2 and etotheipi
I am really sorry, I mistyped the second equation

The second equation should be: ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2##

That is the reason why I wrote the teacher crossed out the ##\frac{1}{2} \rho v^2## part and I don't understand why it can be done so.

I apologize once again

Thanks

Let ##v_1## = ##v_2##! nevermind

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
Let ##v_1## = ##v_2##!
Why? From flow rate continuity equation: ##A_1 . v_1 = A_2 . v_2## and ##A_1 \neq A_2## so why we can set ##v_1 = v_2##?

Thanks

etotheipi said:
Let ##v_1## = ##v_2##!
That would mean ##A_1=A_2## which is not the case here.
songoku said:
Why? From flow rate continuity equation: ##A_1 . v_1 = A_2 . v_2## and ##A_1 \neq A_2## so why we can set ##v_1 = v_2##?

Thanks
We can't. Either you misunderstood what the teacher said, or the teacher was incorrect.

Likes songoku and russ_watters
kuruman said:
That would mean ##A_1=A_2## which is not the case here.

Wait, where are we getting that from? I haven't seen any areas mentioned. If ##A_1 = A_2##, then ##v_1 = v_2##.

Likes songoku
etotheipi said:
Wait, where are we getting that from? I haven't seen any areas mentioned. If ##A_1 = A_2##, then ##v_1 = v_2##.
We get that from the figure posted by OP.

Likes songoku and etotheipi
kuruman said:
We get that from the figure posted by OP.

Whoops, missed that. In that case, teacher is wrong.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
We can't. Either you misunderstood what the teacher said, or the teacher was incorrect.
The teacher said something like: the second equation is for the vertical pipes where the heights (or depth, I am not sure) of the liquid are different (one is ##h_1## and the other is ##h_2##)

etotheipi said:
Whoops, missed that. In that case, teacher is wrong.
Perhaps teacher canceled the wrong terms thinking that the speeds are the same since the flow is horizontal and there is no change in gravitational potential energy per unit volume. If teacher is correct, then it is also true that ##h_1=h_2## which also means that ##P_1=P_2## which also means the ##1=2##, i.e. we are at the same section of the pipe. That's the trivial solution.

Likes songoku
I think teacher makes a huge mess of this problem.

It should be noted by the OP that the ##h_1## and ##h_2## drawn in the figure are not the same as the ##h_1## and ##h_2## that appear in the Bernoulli equation. The heights drawn in the figure only serve to represent the pressure difference. The most simplifying you can do is$$\frac{1}{2} \rho v_1^2 + p_1 = \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2 + p_2$$

Likes songoku
songoku said:
I am really sorry, I mistyped the second equation

The second equation should be: ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2##

That is the reason why I wrote the teacher crossed out the ##\frac{1}{2} \rho v^2## part and I don't understand why it can be done so.

I apologize once again

Thanks
If ##h_1## and ##h_2## are as shown in the figure, then it seems to me that ##P_1=\rho g h_1## and likewise for index ##2## so that the Bernoulli equation for the two parts of the horizontal tube should be
$$\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 + \rho gh_1 = \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2 + \rho gh_2.$$

Likes songoku
etotheipi said:
It should be noted by the OP that the ##h_1## and ##h_2## drawn in the figure are not the same as the ##h_1## and ##h_2## that appear in the Bernoulli equation.
Yes, they are not the same

kuruman said:
If ##h_1## and ##h_2## are as shown in the figure
Yes, they are the height / depth of liquid in small vertical tubes measured from "horizontal line" that makes both "##h_1##" and "##h_2##" in Bernoulli equation have same value

kuruman said:
Perhaps teacher canceled the wrong terms thinking that the speeds are the same since the flow is horizontal and there is no change in gravitational potential energy per unit volume. If teacher is correct, then it is also true that ##h_1=h_2## which also means that ##P_1=P_2## which also means the ##1=2##, i.e. we are at the same section of the pipe. That's the trivial solution.
I am not sure if this helps. There is derivation of formula of speed ##v_1## in my note:

1. At horizontal pipe, the height will be the same so the equation can be reduced to:
##P_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2##

2. At vertical pipe, ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2## where ##h_1## and ##h_2## are the depth of the liquid in the two vertical pipes (based on the picture, ##h_1 > h_2##)

3. Flow rate continuity equation: ##A_1 . v_1 = A_2 . v_2 \rightarrow v_2 = \frac{A_1}{A_2}.v_1##

From part (1):
##P_1 - P_2 = \frac{1}{2} \rho ({v_2}^2 - {v_1}^2)##
##P_1 - P_2 = \frac{1}{2} \rho \left[ \left( \frac{A_1}{A_2} \right)^2 .{v_1}^2 - {v_1}^2 \right]##

From part (2):
##P_1 - P_2 = \rho g (h_2 - h_1)##

##P_1 - P_2 = \rho g \Delta h## where ##\Delta h## is the difference between vertical height of liquid in vertical pipes

Equating those two equations:
##\frac{1}{2} \rho \left[ \left( \frac{A_1}{A_2} \right)^2 .{v_1}^2 - {v_1}^2 \right] = \rho g \Delta h##

After simplifying, we get:
##v_1=\sqrt {\frac{2g \Delta h}{\left( \frac{A_1}{A_2} \right)^2 -1}}##

So based on the derivation, this equation can be obtained by using equation from part (2)

Thanks

Last edited:
Are we abandoning the horizontal venturimeter questione you posted in #1?

When you say "vertical pipe" what is the complete picture? Fluid enters the pipe and then what? Is the fluid in free fall going down or pushed in from the bottom at some pressure? What do ##A_1## and ##A_2## in post #15.3 represent? If a steady stream of an incompressible fluid is in free fall, as it accelerates its cross-sectional area decreases (see figure) because the speed increases.

Faucet.jpg

It seems to me that this thread started from an explanation of an equation related to horizontal flow and has been transformed to a question about vertical flow. Can you please clarify what you wish to understand?

Likes songoku and etotheipi
kuruman said:
Are we abandoning the horizontal venturimeter questione you posted in #1?
No we aren't. My question is related to that picture

When you say "vertical pipe" what is the complete picture? Fluid enters the pipe and then what? Is the fluid in free fall going down or pushed in from the bottom at some pressure?
I post new picture to describe the explanation as best as I can
InkedInkedUntitled2_LI.jpg

I think (1) and (2) is the position of ##P_1## and ##P_2##

What do ##A_1## and ##A_2## in post #15.3 represent?
##A_1## is the area of larger horizontal pipe and ##A_2## is the area of smaller horizontal pipe

Thanks

songoku said:
No we aren't. My question is related to that pictureI post new picture to describe the explanation as best as I can
View attachment 271748
I think (1) and (2) is the position of ##P_1## and ##P_2####A_1## is the area of larger horizontal pipe and ##A_2## is the area of smaller horizontal pipe

Thanks
Then what I said in post #14 applies. If you know the input speed ##v_1##, you can use the equation shown therein to solve for ##v_2##. Is that what you needed to do?

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
Then what I said in post #14 applies. If you know the input speed ##v_1##, you can use the equation shown therein to solve for ##v_2##. Is that what you needed to do?
No, I just want to know how to get the second equation. My teacher did like this:

At vertical pipe:
##P_1 + \rho gh_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2 = P_2 + \rho gh_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2##

Then he crossed out ##\frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2## and ##\frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2## and ended up with ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2##. I want to know why we can cross these 2 terms out

Thanks

songoku said:
No, I just want to know how to get the second equation. My teacher did like this:

At vertical pipe:
##P_1 + \rho gh_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2 = P_2 + \rho gh_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2##

Then he crossed out ##\frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2## and ##\frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2## and ended up with ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2##. I want to know why we can cross these 2 terms out

Thanks

I don't think "we" can cross these terms out. We went over that in posts #7 - #10. If your teacher did it, you should ask him/her why it was done.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
I don't think "we" can cross these terms out. We went over that in posts #7 - #10. If your teacher did it, you should ask him/her why it was done.
Ok so for now I can say that the derivation in post #15 is not valid?

Thanks

songoku said:
Ok so for now I can say that the derivation in post #15 is not valid?
Thanks
The derivation in #15 is almost correct if your task is to find ##v_1## in terms of the geometry and the height difference in the vertical columns. The problem with your derivation is this
You say in #15(1) ##P_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_1}^2 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_2}^2##.
You know that ##v_2>v_1## because ##A_2<A_1##. It follows that, for the equality to hold, it must be true that ##P_2<P_1.##

Then you say in #15(2) ##P_1 + \rho gh_1 = P_2 + \rho gh_2##. Note that from the figure ##h_2<h_1## and we just concluded that ##P_2<P_1##. This second equality cannot be correct because the two smaller terms are on the same side. If you must use the Bernoulli equation for a static vertical column, you must write it at two points in the same column. Say we pick column 1, and choose as point A the surface of the fluid that is at atmospheric pressure and point B at the axis of the tube. Then, starting from the general Bernoulli equation,$$P_A + \rho gh_A + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_A}^2 = P_B + \rho gh_B + \frac{1}{2} \rho {v_B}^2$$Here is what your teacher did, I think. The fluid in column 1 is not moving vertically, therefore ##v_1=v_2=0##. The model here is that you have a static vertical column of fluid standing on a horizontally moving tube of fluid. The gauge pressure at ##A## is ##P_A=0## and ##P_B=P_1##; the heights are ##h_A=h_1## and ##h_B=0.## WIth all this, the equation becomes $$0 + \rho gh_1 +0= P_1 + 0 + 0~\Rightarrow~P_1=\rho gh_1.$$You do the same with a second Bernoulli equation for the other vertical columns and get ##P_2=\rho g h_2##. Finally you write a third Bernoulli equation for the horizontal fluid that is moving and connect points 1 and 2. That third equation is what I put down in #14 which you have to solve for ##v_1##.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much etotheipi and kuruman

Related to Question about venturimeter formula

1. What is a venturimeter?

A venturimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a pipe. It consists of a constricted section in the pipe that causes a pressure drop, which can be measured to determine the flow rate.

2. How is the venturimeter formula derived?

The venturimeter formula is derived from the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically the Bernoulli's equation which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout a flow. The formula takes into account the pressure difference between the two sections of the venturimeter and the density of the fluid.

3. What are the variables in the venturimeter formula?

The variables in the venturimeter formula include the cross-sectional areas of the two sections of the venturimeter, the velocity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two sections.

4. What is the significance of the venturimeter formula?

The venturimeter formula is significant because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately measure the flow rate of a fluid, which is important in various industries such as water supply, oil and gas, and chemical processing. It also helps in understanding the principles of fluid mechanics and their applications.

5. Can the venturimeter formula be used for all types of fluids?

No, the venturimeter formula is specifically designed for incompressible fluids, meaning fluids with a constant density. It cannot be used for compressible fluids such as gases, as their density changes with pressure and temperature.